Making The Move In February! Tips Please! :)

As tom mentioned the paper cups are to go.

I swear most of the complaints about Starbucks seem to come from people working backwards from "I don't like Starbucks".

It's not the greatest coffee in the world but it's more than passable. Better than a lot of coffee in Italy (although most of the best coffees I've had in my life have been in Italy).

Then I embarrassed my self at Starbuck's in NY (glad I finally get it after 10+ years). I described what I wanted (mainly coffee with a tad of milk) and the casher said "So you want a latte?" and I said "But with coffee!!!" and he said "Yeah, a latte!" and again I said "Please make it with cof-feeeee and just a tad of milk, not with just milk!".
We could have gone on forever. I think I asked for an espresso and afterward I asked them to add milk in it.

I've nothing against Starbucks but whether it's their norm - their way of boosting profits or I've just been unlucky - which is doubtful as my Starbucks experiences range from Glasgow to Beijing and New York to BA - but in my experience their latte's and cappuccino's are always on the too milky side for me and my wife and she likes her coffee milky.

As for my earlier comment about the coffee here being sub -standard. A Bs As cafe coffee is on the whole quite acceptable. I was referring to supermarket bought coffee ground or beans for home use.For the prices they charge it's ruddy awful and I use a espresso machine.

It's the gringo shortcut for "caffé latte." Since English is the only acceptable language anywhere, we just take random words from here and there and make them mean whatever we want them to. So, since no one in the US speaks Italian, "latte" can only mean espresso coffee with milk.

See? Simple.

(I embarrassed myself in Italy once with this very thing. I'm more careful now.)

The latte was invented in Berkeley California

I've nothing against Starbucks but whether it's their norm - their way of boosting profits or I've just been unlucky - which is doubtful as my Starbucks experiences range from Glasgow to Beijing and New York to BA - but in my experience their latte's and cappuccino's are always on the too milky side for me and my wife and she likes her coffee milky.

As for my earlier comment about the coffee here being sub -standard. A Bs As cafe coffee is on the whole quite acceptable. I was referring to supermarket bought coffee ground or beans for home use.For the prices they charge it's ruddy awful and I use a espresso machine.
Latte's are milky ( I think at least 1/2 milk), if you want less, you want a cappuccino.
Good beans can be bought at Est.General de Cafe.
N

Good beans can be bought at Est.General de Cafe.

I'll second and third this. Very pricey (quality imported beans don't come cheap) but they roast on site in small batches and the product's always fresh. They have several outlets but the only one I've dealt with is on Pueyrredón just past Arenales.

It's good but very expensive for what you get. I used to alternate between EGdC and Starbucks but establacemiento has raised their prices much more quickly

Taxi from the airport at the window I always use was about $40 US in October;
I love the coffee there, In the states we have bad coffee?
If you are only staying a couple months, and you are a T-Mobile customer, you can make free calls there on wifi, and roam with 3g data for free. You need their Simple Choice Plan, free data in 140 countries. I used to pay about $50, for sim card and minutes total (no data except wifi) before I had T-Mobile, for 10-12 day trips. Now I maybe make one call on the local network, pay my regular bill and I spend about $2.75US extra per trip! Simple choice plans start at $50 + tax a month, no contract required.
I rent apartments from friends of friends / or / use ByT Argentina, then once in contact with the owner of the Apartment, I negotiate a price outside of using ByT for future trips if my friends places are rented. The landlords give ByT 20% of the fee + charge you $40-45 per rental, so the savings can add up. And since you know them, no deposit.
I have more friends in Argentina than in the USA, I am moving there March 1, hoping I can figure out all the paperwork for permanent residency.
Best of luck to you!

Yes, if you're just coming for a temporary period, that's probably easier. With AT&T it's called "Passport", and you can choose how much data per month you want. I think T-Mobile even includes it free with their plans.

Ugh. No. T-Mobile sucks for international travel. Just saying from experience. I asked about changing to an international plan and they do not offer it. However, for an additional $15, you can get unlimited text and data (assuming the towers reach which sorry to say I doubt they will--they sure didn't in much of Mexico...) and $0.80 per minute for talking.

Okay, so maybe the prices aren't so bad... but their reception is awful and there is nothing worse than being in a new country with no data in my opinion.

Back