Malbec

Before I'd return 4 bottles of bad wine in any restaurant, I'd just leave as the place... There are just 2 options: either the place sucks really bad or my taste does...

Not necesarily. As I said you cant blame the restaurant if they got a bad lot from the supplier.

If I remember correctly, the restaurant was "Sucre".

--
FYI - my taste does not suck. ( And as I said before, two other people with me also agreed the wine was bad - however they rather not create a "scene" about it)

Here in distant Prague, they had a sale at a large supermarket on wines includingTrapiche Malbec, not roble, which, on sale, was less than $4usd per bottle. I bought every last one. It's not the one I normally drink when in BA but I was thrilled to see any Argie Malbec. I remember a few years on a hellish backpacking trip through West Africa and I found Termidor in a box THIS IS NOT EVEN IN MY ARGENTINE VOCULABULRY OR EVER SEEN IN MY CHANGUITO!. I was thrilled and compared to anything I could find, which was almost nothing or VERY $$$$ French wine, I enjoyed every drop and shared it with some Spanish friends and it was like drinking wine at the best vineyard in Mendoza. All is relative in life, isn't it?
Cheers and Salud!
Esteban

on a hellish backpacking trip through West Africa and I found Termidor in a box

Yeah but that is so far out of context it doesn't even merit a reply. I had a similar experience in Westest Africa (Eastern Caribbean)
The thread is about good malbec in Argentina and the US.
______

Norton DOC is fine. El enemigo is said to be exceptional but I couldn't tell.
People prefer red wine from even numbered years, but I believe it's just an excuse to chose red wines that are at least a couple of years old.

In my book, last batch of good wine was 2012, but I'd take a 2013 without thinking twice.
If Macri wins maybe 2016 will be my preference in 2019.

Yeah but that is so far out of context it doesn't even merit a reply. I had a similar experience in Westest Africa (Eastern Caribbean)
The thread is about good malbec in Argentina and the US.
______

Norton DOC is fine. El enemigo is said to be exceptional but I couldn't tell.
People prefer red wine from even numbered years, but I believe it's just an excuse to chose red wines that are at least a couple of years old.

In my book, last batch of good wine was 2012, but I'd take a 2013 without thinking twice.
If Macri wins maybe 2016 will be my preference in 2019.

People prefer red wine from even numbered years!? I don't know what kind of nonsense that is, but it never crossed my ears. And when talking about Argentine Malbec, it's ridiculous.

But it did make me think about even numbered years and Bordeaux. Great years: '29, '45, '59, '61, '64, '75, '83, '85, '89, '90, '95, 2000, '05 - well, 3 for 13. :lol:

People prefer red wine from even numbered years!? I don't know what kind of nonsense that is, but it never crossed my ears. And when talking about Argentine Malbec, it's ridiculous.

But it did make me think about even numbered years and Bordeaux. Great years: '29, '45, '59, '61, '64, '75, '83, '85, '89, '90, '95, 2000, '05 - well, 3 for 13. :lol:

I'm not saying it makes sense. It's what I heard repeatedly in Argentina and only in Arg. :shrugs:

I'm not saying it makes sense. It's what I heard repeatedly in Argentina and only in Arg. :shrugs:

Oh, yeah...I could write volumes about what Argentinos don't know about wine - even those who have (allegedly) received training and/or education on the subject.

I've reached the point where I just say, "In Argentina, if you've ever owned a corkscrew, you're qualified to become a sommelier."

Hi Everyone,

Long time for me without visiting Baexpats. We lived in Baires 2011-2013 but then we have to come back home (France) because of work. We are visiting Argentina again for vacations in a couple of months and we would like to take the opportunity to buy some good wines for our cellar. Can I ask you for your recommendations of a few good Argentine wines (including the vintage if possible). They do not need to be Malbec necessarily (we find easily in Europe Catenas, Septima, Triventos, Clos de los Siete, Enemigo, etc). Recommendations on blends and other varietals are also welcomed (we can algo get in Europe the very nice Pinot from Chacras).

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Argentine wine is very popular in US, you can get high end Argentine wines from wine stores and Costco and Bevmo have 20 dollars wines.
Usually Argentine wine is considered cheaper wines, the Bevmo guys think Chile has better wines

Argentine wine is very popular in US, you can get high end Argentine wines from wine stores and Costco and Bevmo have 20 dollars wines.
Usually Argentine wine is considered cheaper wines, the Bevmo guys think Chile has better wines

The last OP said home is in France, not USA.

I highly recommend going to Malambo ( corner of Guatemala & Thames). Alandro is very knowledgable and will help you make a great selection. We buy most of our wines from him.
Nancy

Back