Malbec

wineguy,

Which would be your top recommendation for buying quality wine in Palermo.

I usually buy it at Jumbo, Palermo - which has a very good selection. But I wanna upgrade to the next level.
I'm not WineGuy but I really like Malambo corner Guatemala and Thames. The owner, Alhandro is very knowledgeable and helpful, speak English and carries wine from many small vineyards.

T/

I have personally declined many wines after the first sip, when its served to me in the BA restaurants by the waiter.

The funny thing is that they get very surprised and sometimes the manager comes to me to protest. So i always say, what is the whole point of tasting it and forming a opinion on it - if I do not have the right to reject it.

Usually, I am allowed to taste another wine before accepting it.

One time, i rejected 4 wine bottles in 15 minutes.
I assume the wines were cooked or corked. The tasting before accepting is to make sure the wine wine is good as in not corked, spoiled by heat, or damaged in some other way. The tasting is not to make sure you haven't picked a wine that you don't happen to like. A restaurant is not a tasting room.

T/

I assume the wines were cooked or corked. The tasting before accepting is to make sure the wine wine is good as in not corked, spoiled by heat, or damaged in some other way. The tasting is not to make sure you haven't picked a wine that you don't happen to like. A restaurant is not a tasting room.

T/

Yes, indeed. I guess, I am adult enough ( and not a spastic) to know and understand that a restaurant is NOT a tasting room. Thank you for informing me, nevertheless.

=======

I reject a wine when its obvious that its spoilt or something went wrong when manufacturing it.

The restaurant where I rejected 4 bottles..all 4 of them were from same manufacturer and same bodega

The point is, how many people understand the wine taste well enough and have the audacity to tell the restaurant the wine is spoiled! I can tell you (basis personal experience) - its not easy cos of the resistence one receives.

When I rejected the 4 bottles ( 2 of my conocidos who were Argentines) accepted that the wine was spoiled but did not want to make a "scene" and would rather just drink the bad wine "quietly"!

The "tasting" is not actually intended to be a tasting. The sommelier pours the sample so that the patron can smell to insure that the wine is sound. If it is, it should be consumed. If you simply "don't like it", the sommelier will probably have the good grace to offer a different wine, and sell the open bottle off by the glass. Later, of course, the sommelier will tell the story to his colleagues, and they will laugh among themselves at the patron's expense.

Yes, indeed. I guess, I am adult enough ( and not a spastic) to know and understand that a restaurant is NOT a tasting room. Thank you for informing me, nevertheless.

=======

I reject a wine when its obvious that its spoilt or something went wrong when manufacturing it.

The restaurant where I rejected 4 bottles..all 4 of them were from same manufacturer and same bodega

The point is, how many people understand the wine taste well enough and have the audacity to tell the restaurant the wine is spoiled! I can tell you - its not easy!

Very true ....I heard of someone else that had the audacity to send back 4 bottles of Chateau Rothschild it was the Sultan of Brunei at the Beverly Hills Hotel .(He owns the place).... :D Maybe the wine was poorly manufactured and was spoilt...?

Very true ....I heard of someone else that had the audacity to send back 4 bottles of Chateau Rothschild it was the Sultan of Brunei at the Beverly Hills Hotel .(He owns the place).... :D Maybe the wine was poorly manufactured and was spoilt...?

I am not a *Sultan*, my friend. But i believe in living my life like a KING on a dailyyyyy basis! -- who knows if there will be a tomorrow or not!

=======

The point is, how many people understand the wine taste well enough and have the audacity to tell the restaurant the wine is spoiled! I can tell you (basis personal experience) - its not easy cos of the resistence one receives.

When I rejected the 4 bottles ( 2 of my conocidos who were Argentines) accepted that the wine was spoiled but did not want to make a "scene" and would rather just drink the bad wine "quietly"!

I can't tell you the number of times, as a sommelier, that I have tasted a half-empty bottle that has been opened and poured by the glass by servers and bartenders, only to find that the bottle is corked or otherwise seriously damaged. The thought that a customer either had no idea, and actually enjoyed it, or went off thinking my wine selections were bad, it just kills.

I can't tell you the number of times, as a sommelier, that I have tasted a half-empty bottle that has been opened and poured by the glass by servers and bartenders, only to find that the bottle is corked or otherwise seriously damaged. The thought that a customer either had no idea, and actually enjoyed it, or went off thinking my wine selections were bad, it just kills.

What kills me that many of these *customers* are Argentines who have been drinking wines all their lives or since their adulthood while I just started it few years ago! I fail to understand - how they can not distinguish a disgusting wine ( or just drink it "quietly" than ask for a good one) !

=======

My apologizes.

I think I have only returned 4 or 5 bottles in my long life.

T/

Before I'd return 4 bottles of bad wine in any restaurant, I'd just leave as the place... There are just 2 options: either the place sucks really bad or my taste does...

Back