Malvinas Spat ( United Kindgom beating war drums )

ElQueso said:
As far as the claims go related to international waters. It would seem that Argentina has no regard for the claims either. The islands are British and do have sovereign rights as well. Perhaps the british are overstepping the size of their claim, but if that's the case, why is argentina not arguing that point?

Seems to me that Cristina is not interested in discussing sharing rights, she is interested in discussing the possession of the Falklands only. That means throw the British out and claim all of that oil for Argentina.
I agree El Queso. The timing of this oil platform thing is so convenient for the Kirchners, divert attention from the real issues. Drum up some nationalism and it becomes time to Rock and Roll. And we both know, the US will get dragged into this fiasco.

This laying claim to continental shelf boundaries is a huge issue throughout the world. Russia and Canada are going toe to toe in the Arctic after Russia planted a flag in the depths of the sea somewhere up there. It is always about oil and the Benjis

agreed, oil and water will be the big war causers in the next 100 years...that and the fact that the northern ice cap will disappear completely and the antarctica might become a more habitable continent.

imagine if antarctica became like finland or norway by 2100...a whole new continent the size of north america. Whose is it???

Both governments are behaving like young stubborn children. Both should assume there is a conflict and negotiate.
ElQueso, I do not want to argue with you, we (and both countries) have different points of view and that's why there is a conflict. Trying to force the other side to accept one's opinion can only lead to more conflict. I am not going to write that much about the arguments which are favoured by Argentina, I am sure you'll find a lot of information about them on the internet.
The economic situation and even the political situation in Argentina have nothing to do with its rights on the islands. It's like saying poor people don't have a right to own land.

esllou said:
agreed, oil and water will be the big war causers in the next 100 years...that and the fact that the northern ice cap will disappear completely and the antarctica might become a more habitable continent.

imagine if antarctica became like finland or norway by 2100...a whole new continent the size of north america. Whose is it???

There is zero evidence for that happening. In fact, it might even get colder causing the ice to increase.

Thanks ellslou, couldn't find that map anywhere.

Vikingo said:
So... does this mean that England posses a maritime jurisdiction of 110 KM around the islands or that Argentina has jurisdiction only for 110 KM from its continental territory?? (480 minus 370)

Not automatically. Less than 50% of sea floor claims the world over have been settled. The nature of the law naturally means that there are lots of overlapping claims around the world. Where there are competiting claims, the parties involved need to reach an agreement.

If this oil claim was within Argentine jurisdiction, there would be a lot more fuss. Thats not the case though. Its only within Argentine jurisdiction, if Argentina claims the malvinas as their territory, as they have recently attempted to do. The UK haven't claimed anything within the Argentine 200m economic zone from their coast. Just the sea floor independently generated by the falklands. They're currently drilling for oil in the east falkland basin, which isn't part of Argentina's continental shelf. Not even near.

Malbec - I'd agree that negotiation is the way forward. But unfortunately, there's not much room to negotiate. Argentina want all or nothing, Britain respect the right of self determination of the islanders, and their desire for British sovereignty.

Except, what real pressure is there on Britain to negotiate?

None, they have possession and do not need to service the Falklands from Argentina. They do not have to fear another invasion now.

Argentina can do nothing. Unless Britain wants to hand over the islands, it is just best to ignore the protests. Problem solved.

There may be some "moral" support from Cuba and Venezuela for Argentina, but nothing will amount to anything more than a peddlers fart.

Chau.

jp said:
Britain respect the right of self determination of the islanders, and their desire for British sovereignty.
Who made the maps? Little tough to get a true consensus when the island is populated with Brits. The deck is kind of stacked? The occupation of Malvina/Falklands is plain old colonialism, and in this era, it aint going to fly. If only Argentina had there own house in order. They could construct a nuke and get everyone’s attention. Nothing like antagonizing people. The ghosts of British colonialism haunt us to this day: Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, India, Kashmir, Malaysia, Afghanistan and my favorite, N. Ireland. Reads like a who’s who for trouble. Give it up.

Think I shall pass on the invite for tea.

esllou said:

What Orwellian said, and also, did you notice that those maps are more than two years old? Have you seen the recent evidence that that was as far as the melting went and the trend has reversed? I'm tired right now and want to go to bed, so I can't find the links, but they're there :)

Back