Malvinas Spat ( United Kindgom beating war drums )

tangobob said:
Cabrera Keep throwing insults it is obviously the only fatuous argument you have.
You will get the Falklands, when hell freezes over.

Your love for Argentina is decidely shallow once your interests are in jeopardy Tangobob. By the way the name is Malvinas got it and hell is where you are at in Blimy England where cold weather and smelly people are the norm .

I can see now why you miss Argentina you sad english sod .:p

I think the Falklands should be given to Argentina and the locals should be shipped back to England but not before they destroy absolutely everything on the islands, including any and all means of communicating with the outside world. And then cabrera should be made governor for life of the newly Argified islands and be sent there immediately. A win-win situation for both Argentina and BAExpats.org. :)

I'm a newbie here but get that much of this thread is intended tongue in cheek :) However - if there is any sort of upcoming issue I guess I should maybe leave my British passport at home and come to Argentina (I'm coming down to visit in July) on my Irish instead ? :)

No not at all Jhonno. It's a tiny thing. Just fun to argue.

They love the British. Even a have a monument in the centre to them. They havn't even blown it up yet (nearly though).

Johnno - just avoid talking about the Falklands. You can't have a reasoned conversation about them here - there's been too much historical mis-information propagated over the last 60 years. I'm essentially in favour of Britain giving them up, but still get shouted down and abused when trying to talk about it.

And coming on an Irish passport won't make any difference, that's the same as 'British' as far as most people here are concerned! To be honest, most Brits couldn't explain the intricacies of the differences between the UK, Britain and Ireland, so what chance do they have here?!

Al

hmmm, everybody has been mis-informed at least partially on the subject, there´s way more behind the curtains than what both sides have been fed with (well, i guess every war ever fought and documented has been mis-informed one way or another). Nonetheless, I do believe the only feasable way to win them back is by having kelpers wanting it so and that can only ocurr when and if we ever have a decent way of living and oportunities for everyone (including kelpers of course). If being argentinian means opportunities, better jobs, high education (and free as it is now) and all sorts of other advantages they may decide some day it is in their best interest !
Of course, this is marely hipothetical and if it ever happens, it´s in the far future heheheh.
You can actually have a decent conversation with many locals on the subject, we´re not neanderthals here heheh !
Goes without saying you would not have any problems here for being English, there´s currently many ones living or just passing by or that have brit heritage and I dont believe (for the most part at least) they ever encountered problems on that account.
Almost everybody here, specially in BA know the difference between Ireland, Scottland and England (well, they know only the basic ones, like they are different countries..in a way heheeh) what´s hard for most (not all though) of us is being able to tell the difference between accents and which one corresponds to which country (hence..they all look the same and speak sorta the same hehehehe). Also keep in mind our society has been influenced in many ways by Irish, English, Scotts and Welsh (i do have irish blood in me so they definately had influence in me been here :)

Anyway, dont avoid the subject neccesarily and if you actually have such conversation, even if you disagree, just try not to tell the argie at hand that he is an idiot and ignorant and that what you know is absolutately the truth and what he/she knows is absolutely garbish, that may not end up well (wherever you are wherever you are from)
-Juan

jazrgz said:
You can actually have a decent conversation with many locals on the subject, we´re not neanderthals here heheh !

Have you read the whole of this thread? Neanderthals on both 'sides' unfortunately. :-(

jazrgz said:
Almost everybody here, specially in BA know the difference between Ireland, Scottland and England

But do you know what constitutes the UK (Reino Unido)? And which of those nationalities is British? And why there is Ireland and Northern Ireland and which of them is part of the UK? Or Britain?

I'm sure you will now, because you can look it up on Wikipedia, but believe me, there are a lot of Brits who don't understand the differences!

Oh, and I agree with you 100% on your reading of the Falklands/Malvinas situation....including your advice on how to avoid conflict when talking about it.

:)

Alzinho said:
But do you know what constitutes the UK (Reino Unido)? And which of those nationalities is British? And why there is Ireland and Northern Ireland and which of them is part of the UK? Or Britain?

I'm sure you will now, because you can look it up on Wikipedia, but believe me, there are a lot of Brits who don't understand the differences!

:)

Nothing to do with this debate about the status of the Malvinas, but as someone born in the North of Ireland (it's not in Britain, it's in the UK at present, politically that is - It's most definitely in Ireland), educated in England, and before moving down here, living in the Republic of Ireland, it always amazes me how little the Brits know about their neighbours and ex-colonies. It always used to amaze me when Politicians in the North of Ireland used to demand that they were British, not Irish, when in truth they were UKish.... (tongue in cheek on that one)....

Seriously, I live down here with an English accent, I'm Irish and proud of it, and simply never get any hassle at all, nor do I bother getting anywhere near the debate on the status of the Malvinas... I just wish everyone could get along with their neighbours......

On the thread yes, there´s many neanderthals indeed heheh, but in my experience they are not that many (hopefully im not wrong hehe)

About deeper differences, im afraid i dont (i do know northern ire to be pro-british and not catholic as opposed to southern) and many ppl here wont either, it is actually quite complicated and yes, i should visit wikipedia on the subject, i admit i have been lazy about it ! i will though some day, it´d be quite an interesting subject to learn about.
Actually, by knowing it, it could help us argies to better understand your standpoint on the malvinas dispute. One thing not mentioned at all through the thread is that we look at the nationality matter on a different way than brits (and kelpers as well) do and therefore it makes it harder for ppl here to put themselves in your shoes and for instance having a more balanced argument about Malvinas (many folks here take brits to be just pirates when referred to the malvinas because they see that the only possible interest in the islands and kelpers is just to piss us off and for some strategical purposes in the future but never occurs to us that in a way, hard for us to see, there´s a sense of brit nationality being defended and preserved specially when attacked regardless of the huge distance between both islands).
Who is right or wrong about who those islands belong to on paper is, i believe irrelevant, both arguments have strong points and weak ones and both can be disputed, at least partially, what matters is that kelpers have been living there for several generations now and they cannot/should not be forced out or forced to accept a nationality(ours or brits). I believe that it makes perfect sense in every way that they chose to be british citizens and that the brits accepted them (specially after the malvinas war).
So,
the kelpers should not be bullied into doing anything against their will.
Kelpers chose and want to be british citizens and definately not argentinian.
Current situation then is the most fair (regardless who those islands belong to)
The only way to have them being ours is by having a lifestyle and opportunities kelpers would want to have as well.
Only then the kelpers may choose to be argentinian citizens (the proximity would definately help on this decision) and only then las malvinas would become, if agreed by the kelpers, malvinas argentinas !
IMHO of course !

-Juan

rrptownley said:
No not at all Jhonno. It's a tiny thing. Just fun to argue.

They love the British. Even a have a monument in the centre to them. They havn't even blown it up yet (nearly though).

What monument? :S

Los ingleses y sus amiguitos del 1º mundo son muy graciosos... para hablar de soberanía con Argentina (la cual tiene muchos testimonios a su favor para recuperar las islas) tienen que pedirle permiso a los kelpers, los cuales nacieron mucho tiempo después de los reclamos de soberanía d emi país, pero para correr a los palestinos de Israel que hacía 2000 años vivían ahí no les pidieron opinión, fueron les tiraron unas bombas como acostumbran a hacer y crearon el Estado de Israel jajaja... que patéticos!

Y con respecto a mi presidenta... nunca ha hecho los escándalos de cama que hizo su tan venerada princesa Lady Di o su principe Charles como para que la llamen "puta"... primero antes de tratar de puta a Cristina fíjense en las cosas que hacen sus tan venerados príncipes xD

Back