Malvinas Spat ( United Kindgom beating war drums )

bloody_bloo said:
"Esto es una cortina de humo" - This is a smoke curtain.

The actual government will use this until it's last drop to distract public opinion, the same way Iron Thatcher Lady did to f*ck up the unions in the middle of a crisis while toying with war, but no more lame than a gang of drunk military mental disabled that thought they could force Great Britain to their knees trying to cover another economic crisis and tons of corruption.

They can't pretend oil interest over Malvinas while they actually choose to ignore the Potosí style mining operations done by American and Canadian corporate pigs molded in the most shameful bribery clay. You can even find evidence of Cristina receiving campaign support from this companies.

If history can teach something is that english were well known pirates and as such they run sacked every corner they could by the premise "divide and conquer", Malvinas was just another far outpost of occupied territory, one of many many.

The real irony of all this is no matter how angry you can get discussing this, is that many argentineans believe that we were wrong about pushing back british invasions, we should have allowed them to invade us and maybe with some luck end up like Australia..

You mean during the Napoleonic Wars? Really Argentines wished the British had prevailed o'er the Spanish? Cool!

bloody_bloo said:
A Hong Kong solution was only possible because they could crush any UK colony or the UK itself in a blink of an eye or more simple, by simply throwing a rice coup downtown and wait for the millions of hungry oppressed chinese to simply walk in.

That's a half-truth:
Actually it was the oppressive Beijin government that threw cups of rice to their obedient servants, the British's strategy was to let them do whatever they wanted, laissez faire. Free immigration, free trade...

cabrera said:
People say no war when facts show war is possible and more probable now than for many years. Christina Kirchner our president of Argentina has low ratings and she knows like all Argentines that the Malvinas issue is support by 90 percent of the population . These new laws put in effect today will actually improve her popularity a lot to the suprise of some expats.

You are day-dreaming, if such scenario could even be remotely possible the government would need all military support they can get, and telling by what they have being doing to the military this last years with their version of truth and righteousness,.. just wait sited.

arichie said:
I don't think the Chinese or Russia would be backing Britain. And if China did back Argentina, what would the US do given their entire economy is now basically held hostage by the Chinese? :) Do you think the US would risk pissing off China over an island that may or may not be swimming in a sea of extractable natural resources? The US didn't exactly rush to support the British the last time.

hehe, you've got a point there, but I don't think the Falklands is going to be the Sarajevo of WWIII :rolleyes:. The real question is whether China will continue to back Iran; and they're too wise to spark a World War.

The situation's different in that Argentina is now member of Mercosur, and has spent the last 20 years negotiating a lasting peace with Chile. It wouldn't just lose overseas ties, it would make enemies of the two countries that actually control the continent.

Matt84 said:
You mean during the Napoleonic Wars? Really Argentines wished the British had prevailed o'er the Spanish? Cool!

Absolutely. You should hang out more with us. I doesn't require to much synapsis to compare what happened with spanish-portuguese colonization style and the french-british. The first ones disembarked catholic rapists and burglars while the second ones farmers with their families.

bloody_bloo said:
Absolutely. You should hang out more with us. I doesn't require to much synapsis to compare what happened with spanish-portuguese colonization style and the french-british. The first ones disembarked catholic rapists and burglars while the second ones farmers with their families.

lol, well I agree 99% with you except: Portuguese Colonization rendered better results than French.... and it makes sense since Portugal and Britain were natural allies against the Spanish and in instances, French.

and believe I do hang out with Argentines, I was partially raised here.

Matt84 said:
hehe, you've got a point there, but I don't think the Falklands is going to be the Sarajevo of WWIII :rolleyes:. The real question is whether China will continue to back Iran; and they're too wise to spark a World War.

No, but you made it sound as if Argentina would stand practically alone with no possible support from any of the powerful nations in the world. If the results of the oil exploration venture are good for extraction, the situation is likely to get a lot more ugly and complicated. So with a battle over who gets to control many billions of dollars worth of oil, it would be naive to imagine Britain's position will simply go unchallenged.

Originally Posted by cabrera
People say no war when facts show war is possible and more probable now than for many years. Christina Kirchner our president of Argentina has low ratings and she knows like all Argentines that the Malvinas issue is support by 90 percent of the population . These new laws put in effect today will actually improve her popularity a lot to the suprise of some expats.

Naaaaaaaaa!! This is not going to happen. Look at the comments here.

What Argentina has to gain is trade, The UK is too far away to gain from any minerals excavated, the people of the islands would gain far more by trading with Argentina. Argentina, of course, would then gain from the trade and the landing of any oil (if it is actually found)

I don´t think the gains in trade would be high enough. We would not only loose the islands for good, but also Antartic territory as well, its to high of a price for a couple of millions (if at all) of trade. Besides, you said it yourself, the islands are expensive to support for Britain, Argentina can just wait for the right moment (it could be a while though :D) and win it all.

The only reason the economy of the islands has been good is because of the large numbers of troops stationed there.

The economy has been good mostly since they went from farming sheeps to the fishing industry that has proven to be a gold mine.

As far as the war, i guess everything its possible, but it is extremely unlikely to happen for very obvious reasons.

Politically is practically impossible for the argentine government to pull it of. And military Argentina just doesnt have the most basic resourses for a campaing of that kind. Im not saying it becasue we dont have nuclear subs, im saying we dont even have ammo!

fedecc said:
Im not saying it becasue we dont have nuclear subs, im saying we dont even have ammo!

The Infamous Paint-Ball War of 2010.

I'm off out to get popcorn - can't wait for it to start. :D

Cabrera I believe that you are exaggerating in regards to your latest posts . There is very low chance tht a war is on the horizon.

Malvinas or Falklands are very emotional subjects for the both countries Argentina and Great Britain. It looks like that this will be a touchy subject for a long long time

Back