Malvinas Spat ( United Kindgom beating war drums )

Um.. the US doesn't have anything to do with this dispute. And the points raised in the article are valid ones, especially re the hesitancy of major companies in investing in Argentina.

citygirl said:
Um.. the US doesn't have anything to do with this dispute. And the points raised in the article are valid ones, especially re the hesitancy of major companies in investing in Argentina.

hmm, they don't like hearing that though.

if you want cabrera, you can post excerpts from chavez's newsletter which I'm sure you'll find more to your liking.

I have no idea if the NYT hates the Kircheners. Maybe they do. Whenever a UK article is posted, it's criticised for being UK so I thought I'd post an American one.

cabrera said:
A UK newspaper published a balanced article that has had more comments from readers than any other article on the Malvinas. Why is that is it because its fair and makes people defensive?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentis...ntina-britain?showallcomments=true#comment-51

great article that has been posted on this thread quite a few times. Some of the comments are borderline psycho...from both sides.

I don't agree with everything in that article, particularly the naive disregard for the islanders themselves, but I'm delighted to see things like that published in the UK.

I keenly await the moment when La Nacion publishes something so balanced.

citygirl said:
What is this thread about?
If you want, we must begin "bussines cimate in Argentina" and discuiss this issue extensively.

The US has reaffirmed its 'neutral' position on the issue of sovereignty of the Islands, and Hilary Clinton is prepared to mediate in the dispute.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...illary-Clinton-steps-Argentina-stand-off.html

I remember there was a view before the last election that Obama harbours some hatred for the British. Let's hope Obama tells the British to hand back the Islands or face the might of their military machine. :)

arichie said:
The US has reaffirmed its 'neutral' position on the issue of sovereignty of the Islands, and Hilary Clinton is prepared to mediate in the dispute.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...illary-Clinton-steps-Argentina-stand-off.html

I remember there was a view before the last election that Obama harbours some hatred for the British. Let's hope Obama tells the British to hand back the Islands or face the might of their military machine. :)

It all might end up like "Love Actually" :)

Ultimately, I don't think there's much love lost between Obama and the UK but he knows which side his bread is buttered on. I seem to recall bill clinton having a similar attitude when he arrived in the white house, then getting an 8-year lesson in realpolitik, at least from an american perspective.

I think clinton/obama might make the UK sweat and refuse to publically support their claim to sovereignty, but if push comes to shove, there's no doubt where their support will fall. By the way, seen the front page of La Nacion today?? Cristina doing her bit for argentine-US relations. :D

gusgutier said:
What is this thread about?
If you want, we must begin "bussines cimate in Argentina" and discuiss this issue extensively.

Agreed. My comment about the article was directed towards Bloody Boo who was complaining about how the NYTimes was biased and it was a bad article. My point was I think it is a fairly balanced article and explores issues that are valid.

Back