Malvinas Spat ( United Kindgom beating war drums )

esllou said:
It all might end up like "Love Actually" :)

Ultimately, I don't think there's much love lost between Obama and the UK but he knows which side his bread is buttered on. I seem to recall bill clinton having a similar attitude when he arrived in the white house, then getting an 8-year lesson in realpolitik, at least from an american perspective.

I think clinton/obama might make the UK sweat and refuse to publically support their claim to sovereignty, but if push comes to shove, there's no doubt where their support will fall. By the way, seen the front page of La Nacion today?? Cristina doing her bit for argentine-US relations. :D

Yeah unfortunately you are right. But it's nice to dream about the end of the so-called special relationship between the US and its poodle Britain.

citygirl said:
Agreed. My comment about the article was directed towards Bloody Boo who was complaining about how the NYTimes was biased and it was a bad article. My point was I think it is a fairly balanced article and explores issues that are valid.

citygirl you missed my point. I didn't say the article was bad. How can you make a conclusion like that when I say "I mainly agree with many things in the article"?

We are being peed on and the news tell its raining.

citygirl said:
especially re the hesitancy of major companies in investing in Argentina.
Argentina is so business friendly, especially for oil exploration and exports:

"Kirchner set a maximum price that companies could earn on each barrel of oil exported at $42 a barrel. All revenue above that amount is collected as taxes, according to Repsol. Taxes on exports below that amount are as high as 45 percent."
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=ahQBjZVbMrbk

ssr said:
Argentines, listen to one of your own who has seen the light:

'We must educate the Argentines'

More or less education is not the problem, the problem is how do you apply that education...

´Cause education can be used as a weapon...

Look at UK, Germany, USA... they´re educated and most of their people have access to the university but those educated countries are the biggest killers and thieves of the history ;)

ssr said:
Argentines, listen to one of your own who has seen the light:

'We must educate the Argentines'

that's a bit of a silly article really. I'm sure there are bonafide brits here in BsAs who would be prepared to give a similarly "odd" interview substantiating argentine claims. Hell, I'd do it for a thousand pesos. :D

Yeah... we must be educated and Mrs Strange must keep kissing the british arses xD

Come on! who is that woman to tell us what we must to do? Our president? A teacher of history? she´s another "wanna be european" there´s so many argentinians like that, they prefer to kiss the european arses instead to stay in Argentina...

that's a bit of a silly article really. I'm sure there are bonafide brits here in BsAs who would be prepared to give a similarly "odd" interview substantiating argentine claims. Hell, I'd do it for a thousand pesos.
Not just british, even a kelper!
Alejandro Betts was born in the islands, moved to argentina in 82, lived here ever since and supports argentine claim. He participates in politics and run for mayor of a town in Córdoba. Here is an interview.
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=209081

If this whole conflict is about oil, (and it should be) a negotiated settlement is possible. I suggest that both countries agree to limiting sovereignty claims to 100 miles off the shores they currently govern. (They could each claim sovereignty for up to half the distance between the closest points between Argentina and the Malvinas/Falklands, but other oil drilling nations might dispute these claims.) The Argentines could sell drilling leases to companies wanting to drill in their area and the Brits could sell to those who want to drill in theirs. Since it sounds like there might be more oil in towards the Falklands, Argentine firms should be eligible to bid on leases in the British area. The British governemnt would collect the up front leasing fees, but if the Argentine firms hit oil in the British area they would be exempt from paying royalties to the British government for the oil pumped. The Argentine governent would make its money from any leases or royalties generated from firms drilling in their area, and by taxing the profits of Argentine firms pumping oil from the British area. The British governemt would make money by selling the leases for all drilling in their area and collecting royalties from any non Argentine based companies who actually end up pumping oil. Most of the companies who will end up pumping oil out of the British area will probably be Brazilian, U.S. based or Chinese, so the Brits won't lose too much income by waiving royalties to Argentine companies. Since the Brits are giving up the 500 mile claim of sovereignty and possibly some royalty income, they might want to include formal Argentine acceptance of the British possession of the Falklands in the agreement, though any agreement that Argentina signs that acknowledges the right of Great Britain to sell leases and collect royalties for oil pumped out of their area pretty much does that anyway.

If this is all about something other than oil, then there can never be a negotiated settlement, and both countries are headed for a confrontation that neither can afford right now. Politicians in both countries might believe that doing a little flag waving will divert the public's attention from their country's respective economic problems. But once you start this ploy, it can easily take on a life of its own.

Back