Malvinas Spat ( United Kindgom beating war drums )

majordomo said:
Politicians in both countries might believe that doing a little flag waving will divert the public's attention from their country's respective economic problems. But once you start this ploy, it can easily take on a life of its own.

The British are just trying to find some oil near some islands that have been in their possession for almost two centuries. The situation is only being used for political gain here in Argentina.

ssr said:
The British are just trying to find some oil near some islands that have been in their possession for almost two centuries. The situation is only being used for political gain here in Argentina.
Every time I think about how gullible the average American was during the Bush administration's toying with the "Terror Alert" YELLOW, ORANGE, or RED levels, I console myself with "At least they weren't as delusionally distracted as the Argentines with The Falklands."

That obsession is just downright retarded.

THEY WERE NEVER YOURS! GET OVER IT!

I was living 30 yards from the british embassy in april last year. On the 2nd, 30 ragged protestors turned up, a couple of old-looking beagles between them, and started shouting at the embassy from behind 2 crowd control barriers for an hour or so before melting away, mate pots in hand.

this year, I live a few hundred yards further away but saw the long column of marchers wind their way under my balcony for half an hour. I have no idea how many turned up but I would guess a few thousand. When I walked past the area in the evening, there were still tens of police vans parked in the area and even two water cannon trucks!!!

What changed? Is the argentine claim to sovereignty somehow stronger this year??

I think we all know what changed. How are the polls doing, Cristina? :)

Napoleon said:
That obsession is just downright retarded.

THEY WERE NEVER YOURS! GET OVER IT!

So I take you are the voice of truth then, we should bow to your superior overlord wisdom, lets shut all the f'up.

How could we missed your point? It's retarded for us argies to think that the islands are ours. Yeah they are rightfully british, along with all pirated outposts scattered through the globe.

Yeah, retarded.

bloody_bloo said:
So I take you are the voice of truth then, we should bow to your superior overlord wisdom, lets shut all the f'up.

How could we missed your point? It's retarded for us argies to think that the islands are ours. Yeah they are rightfully british, along with all pirated outposts scattered through the globe.

Yeah, retarded.

Remind me again, before the early 1980s when they invaded a peaceful people, WHEN DID ARGENTINA EVER HAVE A PRESENCE ON THE FALKLANDS?

Thanks. I'm going to take a siesta and then wake up to watch some soccer/football. I won't wait up for your answer. It's meaningless anyway. But keep focusing on that task while Cristina & Ernie rob the country blind.

:rolleyes:

So, the moon belongs to the americans just ´cause the rest of the countries can´t send rockets to the space to plant their flags?

Malvinas belongs to Argentina... Argentina was an independent country when Buenos Aires was invaded by the britons, even the amerindians fought against the britons... then Malvinas was invaded as they did in Buenos Aires...

Take a look to the map of the british empire and you will see who are the real invaders... almost the entire world belongs to UK in those maps... funny guys!

almagestos said:
So, the moon belongs to the americans just ´cause the rest of the countries can´t send rockets to the space to plant their flags?

funny you should mention that. We'll discover in the next 100 years how much the rule "access gives possession" is true when it comes to mining on the moon. I'll give you a clue...Argentina won't be in the discussion. Only a very few countries will.

Its ironic but the two most agressive posters Napoleon and Ellsou who believe that Argentina has no rights to islands are from two of the most rapacious nations of the world the USA and the United Kingdom.
1 million dead Iraqis and 100 thousand dead afganis later in the pursuit of your goals of colonising foreign lands and you are telling Argentina how to act. Let Argentina and argentinians decide their foreign goals without your hypocritical judgements .......

cabrera said:
Let Argentina and argentinians decide their foreign goals without your hypocritical judgements .......

Why not let the kelpers decide their future? They've lived there for 200 years, and have been the only indigenous people to have ever settled on the island.

The islands are only british because the kelpers want to be british. The islands don't "belong" to britain, they belong to the kelpers, who choose to be british.

Why should argentina decide the fate of a culture of people who have lived in peace for 200 years (aside from the unprovoked invasion by a murderous military regime of course)

Leave the malvinas to the kelpers. If Argentina wanted them so badly, they'd do more to persuade the 3000 people living there they would be better off being argentine.

Doubt it would take much. The amount the state spends on gnocchis it wouldn't be difficult to put each and every islander on a huge salary, and effectively just buy the islands from the islanders under their consent.

But thats just the thing. Argentina doesn't want the malvinas. It wants a thorn in its paw, to get angry about. They are only useful as a pawn for politicos. Take away the rabble rousing "injustice" of it all, and they are just a desperate, miserable, freezing cluster of rocks in the atlantic.

Back