Marriage, foreigners visiting.

Hi:
Regarding entry into ARG you are correct, Visa Exemptions: Nationals of Thailand for a maximum stay of 90 days. Nationals of Canada with a normal passport for a maximum stay of 90 days.

The steps for getting married become clearer as you go. The administrative process takes time. Initial part can be done online, the rest is in person. You also need a certificate of where you are domiciled (can be a hotel), which you can get as a tourist. I believe the blood tests are no longer required. When we did it they were required and that is a separate procedure done in the private or public clinic. Expect long waiting times. The day before the ceremony you must go back in person to present photocopies of all documents as well as originals of your IDs/passports and the IDs of the 2 witnesses (who must be legal residents or citizens of ARG). There is a procedure to be followed for interpreters. The whole process is very bureaucratic and time consuming. I do not know if there is someone who can handle all this for you, perhaps someone may contribute from this group. Lack of Spanish makes the whole process more frustrating in a country where administration is already burdened by inefficiency.

One thing to keep in mind: if you need to get a copy of your marriage certificate in the future for use abroad (and you are located outside ARG for example) it is a procedure you must complete online and then wait around 2 months for it to arrive at the embassy where you are (if it arrives at all due to it being lost in the system). The whole process is time consuming to say the least and burdensome to an ordinary citizen. The certificate is in Spanish and you will need to translate it for use elsewhere (after obtaining the correct stamps, including the Apostle of the Hague). It is possible to give someone a power of attorney to do this for you, but you would be creating additional work for you which requires extra time to execute and in the end may be a headache.

Out of curiosity, why BsAs? I am asking because the two of you as non residents can do this much easier in Copenhagen for example. The certificates are done in English and it is super simple. The ceremony is in English. A Thai national who is in de facto relationship with you should have no problems getting Schengen visa to accompany you to the EU. And if in the future you have to get a copy of your certificate, getting one from Denmark is a piece of cake compared to Argentina.

Unless you have very specific reasons to do it in ARG, I would not bother with it.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Appreciate all the effort put into the reply. I'll definitely look into Copenhagen as well, doesn't seem bad as long as we can preform the same-sex marriage legally and it's recognized in Canada that is an option for sure. We're still early on in our search and have 3-4 months before we're going to start crunching the numbers and booking flights so anything is game!

Are you "under the impression" that you can get married while both of you are in Argentina with residencia transitoria (aka the tourist visa)? That's the impression I got from reading your post.

I would be happy to be wrong, but I don't think it's possible.

We've recently (2 hours ago) spoken to an "all inclusive" marriage company and from the looks of it and from many testimonials that yes it is legal and possible.

Yes but I wonder if it's been updated to include HIV or if they're just tests that were standard fifty years ago!

HIV test has been there as a requirement for registering marriages in BA for years!!

Appreciate all the effort put into the reply. I'll definitely look into Copenhagen as well, doesn't seem bad as long as we can preform the same-sex marriage legally and it's recognized in Canada that is an option for sure. We're still early on in our search and have 3-4 months before we're going to start crunching the numbers and booking flights so anything is game!

Not only is the marriage certificate issued in Denmark valid in Canada, but if you ever need to use it in the EU/EEA it is accepted without additional validation based on the EU/EEA regulation on reciprocity and mutual recognition pertaining to vital documents. Having it in English and issued by a country where administration is simple and efficient also simplifies any future process where you may need your certificate.

I do not know for what purpose you may need the marriage certificate, but if it is for immigration purpose to an EU/Schengen (Austria, Poland, etc), EU/Non-Schengen (Norway, Switzerland) or European non-EU country (Montenegro, Serbia) with or without same sex marriage law in place, a certificate issued in Denmark carries additional weight as all of the countries in the above categories (even those without same-sex marriage regulations such as Poland or Serbia for example) have agreements on mutual recognition of vital documents for migratory purpose. This last part was further potentiated given the recent EU ruling against Romania in a case of US/Romanian couple married in Belgium.

Either way, lots of luck and all the best to both of you in this process!

I was a witness for a Civil Wedding, of an Iranian couple 2 years ago. I had to accompany them to translate during the Interviews. For the wedding Ceremony an official translator is required. An Iranian translator was not easy to find.The blood test must be performed at an specific Clinic a couple of days before the wedding. The CABA City of BA, welcomes tourists of the same sex that want to get married..
The City Employees spoke No English whatsoever.

http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/noticias/podran-casarse-extranjeros-en-transito

Google Translate

Foreigners in transit can be married With people of different or equal sex within five days of being requested to the Civil Registry

The Buenos Aires Government arranged that foreigners who arrive at the country in transitory form will be able to contract marriage with people of different or equal sex within the five days of requested to the Civil Registry, needing a precarious domicile of reference.
The same sex couple, who were on this forum a few years ago (not the Iranian), had a wedding in BsAs, pissed off a lot of people here. Nothing wrong with the same sex marriage, it's just they are a pain in the arse, no one liked them, that's why they did not have many friends. Sorry this is off the topic. I wish you guys having a great time in Argentina.

I wonder what sort of blood tests are required.

As of 08 June 2018 none required as per Disp.68 - DGRC - 2018. The first article states:
"Los futuros contrayentes no tendrán la obligación de presentar el certificado prenupcial a los fines de la celebración del matrimonio por ante el Oficial Público de la DGRC de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires, siendo optativo para ellos su presentación de acuerdo a la normativa vigente".
For those interested here is the link for the official bulletin publication: http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/sites/gcaba/files/dispo68prenupciales.pdf

Back