Marrying Argentinian And Moving To Ba - Need Advice

If you bring $20,000 USD through customs at the airport without declaring it you will definitely be ON the radar once the dogs sniff your dollars.
There are two people traveling. 10 x 2 = ?

Bring the cash, put it in a safe deposit box in your apt and don't tell people you have it :) Then if you need more, you have take out more when you visit the US or you can go to Uruguay, etc. You'll also make contacts, there are people here who want their dollars out of the country and will give you money here and you wire from your US account to theirs.

Congrats on the upcoming marriage and move! Despite what we all say and all the complaining (and I'm as guilty as the next!) if you are immune from local pressure of earning in pesos/dealing with the inflation, this can be a really fun place to live. Take adventure of all the travel opportunities here - Argentina is a beautiful country and worth exploring during your time here!

Is the limit $10k each or $10k total for 2 married people traveling together?

I heard that it's different (the cash$$ limit) if you are traveling together on the same itinerary. Worth looking into this just to be sure... also if you are bringing new goods, the total of goods and cash has to be $9,999 or less. So maybe best to bring $9K each only if they are able.

It's 9,999 USD per person, if you are two, you can multiply that amount for two. I never heard of a "combined limit" of sort - any reference would be appreciated, lucha54!

Actually, we came with slightly more than that and mixing USD and EUR (we were able to sell some stuff last minute and a few euros came in) and nobody checked us.
I was wearing a waistwallet under my pants and carrying my share plus the extra cash, my husband (a citizen) was slightly below the USD 9,999 limit.

I should assume missing EUR and USD mixed up with the dogs' smell?! Anyway, I didn't see no dog, but we were flying from Madrid and perhaps our flight was less interesting than those coming from Miami.

I heard that it's different (the cash$$ limit) if you are traveling together on the same itinerary. Worth looking into this just to be sure... also if you are bringing new goods, the total of goods and cash has to be $9,999 or less. So maybe best to bring $9K each only if they are able.

That's what I mentioned in another thread.

If I'm right, a group of persons flying out of the US with more than 10K has to declare the money, while upon entering Argentina the limit is 10K per person.

Worth to dig out more info, but here it goes for the US:

[background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.941176)]There is no limit on the amount of money that can be taken out of or brought into the United States. However, if a person or persons traveling together and filing a joint declaration (CBP Form 6059-B) have $10,000 or more in currency or negotiable monetary instruments, they must fill out a "Report of International Transportation of Currency and Monetary Instruments" [/background]FinCEN 105[background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.941176)] (former CF 4790).[/background]

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/195/~/currency-%2F-monetary-instruments---amount-that-can-be-brought-into-or-leave-the

Generally speaking, I have NEVER seen them checking for money coming into the country. Leaving yes but entering no. And yes, you're fine with 10K per person entering into Arg.

As your soon to be wife is a returning citizen, I believe she can import things without paying duty on them. If you're going to be here a while, you very well may want to look into it.

Back