Mascarpone Cheese

NOLAchef

Registered
I know it's a long shot, especially considering the cheese here is well, shit, BUT HAS ANYONE COME ACROSS ANY MASCARPONE CHEESE? I mean, it's Italian, biiiig Italian culture here, and I really want to make a mascarpone cheesecake!!!

Any suggestions would be great! Gracias!

www.NOLAchef.wordpress.com

YES!!! The first puesto en El Galpon (Federico Lacroze 4171) on Wednesdays and Saturdays has fresh Mascarpone!!! I bought it once and it was delicious, and I think it was only 22 pesos for a huge jar of it. Be careful though, it seemed to go bad REALLY quick, like after about 5 days I had to throw it out (sad because I only used about a quarter of it). Also, it's probably something they don't have every day, so I would go on Saturday that is when they seem bring the most stuff, but go early before it sells out.

Good luck.

Jumbo sells various mascarpone brands as well, including one being branded as Jumbo (about 10 pesos for 200 grams).

I would have been very surprised to learn that mascarpone was not available in BA.....it is a core ingredient in Tiramasu, which is a staple of Italian restaurants everywhere.....

I also found some at Coto once in a pot. Also check out various fiambrerias or carnicerias where they sell more than fruit, there is one next door to me that sells both Mascarpone and Neufchatel, too.

One of my favorite fiambreiras, and i've been to alot, is on chile & entre rios they sell marscapone there in addition to tons of other great cheeses and meats.

They usually have it at the Disco on Santa Fe and Austria, I'm not sure if it's the best price you will find though.

Try to use recorta suave - I used it to make tiramisu, worked like a charm!

Back