May 18, 2022 Census Day in ARG, per optional digital tool

Thanks. I'm just off Cordoba a couple blocks east of 9 de Julio, and I'd call this microcentro, but they don't recognize that. They're saying it's Retiro, which to me is south of here. But OK, I'm just a yanqui boludo, what do I know?

I can see several reasons why some people might be nervous abourt complying with such an intrusive survey. If, theoretically speaking, someone's immigration status was irregular, I can imagine they might be hesitant, not knowing to what extent Migraciones might be using this to track them down.
I was afraid it was goint go be very intrusive but after I saw the questions I realized it was not.

I just received this email:
Estimada/o:
El miércoles 18 de mayo entre las 8 y las 18 h pasará una persona censista por tu vivienda para pedirte tu comprobante del Censo de 6 dígitos:
XXXXXX (
my code)
Además, deberás indicarle cuántas personas por sexo censaste en tu vivienda.

Hi Gracielle. I had Google translate the forms as I worked through them. If I don't get an email in the next few days I may revisit and fill in the forms once more. Thanks for your input!
I received my code today via email.:)

I completed the form on line this afternoon at 3 PM using my laptop.

I have yet to receive a confirmation email, but I have no doubt that the completed form is in the system, as the comprobante with the code was generated instantly after I finished entering all of the information.🤠
I received the confirmation email this morning at 3:16 AM.

So what happen s if you don't do it or aren't home when they show up?
9 May 2022
....the law stipulates a series of penalties given that it is a civic duty for those who do not answer or lie on the day of the 2022 Census....The last update was established through Resolution 25/2022, published on February 22, 2022 in the Boletin Oficial. It stipulates a minimum fine of $1076.36 pesos for those who do not answer or lie in the census, while the maximum penalty may reach $106,799.35 pesos....
13 May 2022

....The census taker will pass by your house between 8:00am and 6:00pm, if he/she does not find anyone, he/she will be able to pass up to 3 times. But if for some reason you were not at home all day, the official website of the Digital Census 2022 clarifies that if a person, for reasons of force majeure (work, health, etc.), is not at home on the day of the survey, he/she can leave the digital census code to a neighbor, caretaker or trusted person to give it to the census taker....

16 May 2022
Complaints against the digital census: Marco Lavagna, the Director of the National Institute of Statistics and Censuses (INDEC), assured that "there was no vulnerability" of the data. He referred to the complaints about the alleged lack of confidentiality of the digital census data. Users reported that the census code retrieval system provided personal data....The alleged vulnerability appeared when a user tried to retrieve the code that will be given to census takers on Wednesday. When entering the system, the recovery option asked to enter the email address registered in the digital process and confirm it. The situation reported in the last few days appeared until noon on Monday, May 16...."There is no vulnerability in the recovery of the code," Lavagna said, denoting that he was aware of the allegations. "The information is protected to safeguard statistical secrecy," he added. The clarification by the head of the INDEC referred to the complaints about the "recovery mode" of the unique housing code for those who had lost it and wanted to continue with the procedure. By filling in the form with their e-mail address, the page provided their address data.

However, Lavagna insisted that there was no data vulnerability "especially in the census card". "We do future protection of the data and we are obliged by law to maintain statistical secrecy," he said....This news media was able to verify, at the time of going to press, that the system was displaying the message "no unique housing code is registered with this e-mail address" when trying to retrieve the code registered through two e-mails....The website www.censo.gob.ar, where the questionnaire can be completed digitally, states in its template that the safeguarding of information is guaranteed through "a strict computer security protocol". According to the official information, this process involves the storage of "the data collected in the servers of Empresa Argentina de Soluciones Satelitales Sociedad Anónima (ARSAT) under anonymization, encryption and data governance techniques"....

....INDEC's legal warning also cites three regulations: Law 17.622, Decree 3.110/70 and Internal Resolution 181/2020. The first one states that the data must be supplied and "published as a whole compilation, so that the commercial or patrimonial secrecy cannot be violated, nor the persons or entities to which they refer to be individualized". However, it states that "the following registration data are exempted from statistical secrecy: name and surname, or company name, domicile and branch of activity"....

well, naturally couldn't complete the digital census without a DNI to input, and they're obviously no option to input a passport number. Guess i'll have to do the whole thing in analog tomorrow - fun!

Solo se tiene que censar si residió durante los últimos 6 meses o si piensa fijar residencia por los próximos 6 meses.
= You only have to take the census if you resided during the last 6 months or if you intend to establish residence for the next 6 months.

The census taker rang my doorbell a few minutes ago. Early this morning I tacked a note with the code number on the gate, and he had already wrtten it down by the time I got to the gate.

He asked one qusetion: How many hombres and mujeres lived at the residence.

He was here and gone in less than 60 seconds.

Nick Cage would have been proud. 🤠

Back