Maybe Establishing Myself In Ba For January- Please Advice

Seasons Greetings,

I'm new to this forum. I spend one month (Nov-Dec) each year in BA. The balance of my time is mostly in So Calif with a month or so in Canada (Toronto or Montreal) during the Canadian summer.

I can provide a little insight into the salsa scene in BA, since I am an avid salsa dancer (and also quite proficient at tango). The salsa scene in BA is vibrant and extensive, with many salsa clubs and places to dance salsa in BA and GBA. There is no one salsa website that has all the action so you have to google and also search facebook. I would compare the salsa and latin dance scene in BA to SFO and LA, it is really quite amazing here in BA. The places I frequent most are Club Azucar (located on calle Cordoba) and La Salsera (located in Almagro), both clubs located within several blocks of each other. Both places are great to learn to dance salsa (all levels), meet new people, and make new friends. Classes, held every nite, are $3-4US a class, a great price and great instruction. Salsa dance nites tend to be on the weekend, with the clubs starting after midnight until dawn. The salsa nites are really popular with the locals. Club Azucar tends to draw in 20-30 somethings while La Salsera tends to attract 30-40 somethings. Azucar tends to play cuban style salsa music (a la NYC ) while La Sasera tends to play more mainstream salsa music (a la SFO or LA). I should also mention that Bachata is also very popular in BA, perhaps more so than salsa. One other place I like to dance salsa/Bachata on occasion is Puerto Madero where people show up with their ghetto blasters on weekend evenings in the spring and summer on the broadwalk and hundreds of people show up to dance the evening away.

The city is pretty dead in February as well, March is when everyone is finally back at work and reopening their small businesses. February is also pretty hot and often very rainy.

Back