Me Quiero Ir

id hand you the best advise i received .... take one day at a time. and yes making friends is a good idea ... or start catching up on some good old movies that you haven't watched or would love to watch again that is until you find back your peace ... it does get frustrating :( so you are not alone

I am finding it a bit tough at the moment. I like a bit of cynicism, but sometimes, like lacoqueta said, you have to check yourself and try not to be too negative, because it really drags you down as a person and a personality. Like everything in life its all about attitude. I do get this feeling like I want to grab Argentina and shake it like a polaroid picture - some of the things I see and hear just frustrate me plain and simple - and this country isn't even mine.
I get the feeling that the place is out to lunch or on a giant treadmill atm and I'm getting dragged along for the ride - going nowhere. I'm making plans to go home in the first quarter of next year.

But try and get joy out of the little things in life. It is a unique place to be and can be fun.
Also, if you're not in a situation to leave now, make sure you set goals, whether it be money or time, then go through brick walls to get it done. Otherwise, you will need some comfy shoes for that treadmill.

Like everything in life its all about attitude. I do get this feeling like I want to grab Argentina and shake it like a polaroid picture - some of the things I see and hear just frustrate me plain and simple - and this country isn't even mine.

Yes!! Just yesterday I was thinking to myself... Argentina is like a talented, charismatic friend that could be successful if they tried... instead they piss it away. You want to grab them by the neck and say "get yourself together!"

I like Argentines as long as I don't have to depend on them for anything. The more serious person you are (as in, wanting things done right and efficiently), the tougher time you'll have in Buenos Aires. If you just want to relax and drink and go out for coffee, it's not so bad. :) You have to learn to let go a bit and try not to let the little stressers get the better of you and maybe lower your expectations.

Finding an enjoyable outlet should help... do something you enjoy. Classes are generally cheaper than US/Europe, so you could always take those lessons you may have been thinking about. Friends help, too. Everyone needs their own oasis of calm. Just be careful about falling for an Argentine... or else you could be 'stuck' here forever! ;)

If Argentina were a person it would be a spoiled 6-8 year old kid throwing a tantrum. The natural resources and riches have prevented them from "growing up" faster. They're still stuck in those stages kids have (mine, mine, mine). While everybody is busy playing the mine game, the cunning politicians have had a joy ride for decades. They only need some handouts for the truly needy and to deal with the consequences of their actions every 10-14 years. Occasional riots are mostly angry tantrums more than a truly unified social claim for change.

Why do you stay?
How do you stay?
Aren't there days where you feel you are on the edge of sanity?
1. I love chaos. It is almost impossible to find a more disorganised place than Argentina.
2. Have scores of friends, Arg and expats, to relax with.
3. Absolutely. I leave for some months every year or I'd go over the edge.

I know that the OP mentions Mate as a symbol of Argentines, but there might be a reason he picked it as one, out of many. Seré curioso...Does it piss you off that much to see people drinking it?

Its really not so bad. Besides, most other countries are just as messed up, in their own ways. Glass houses.

It took me a couple of years to get used to living here and get settled in. You get used to it and learn how to adapt. Also, knowing more people helps. And having places you like to go and things you like to do helps even more. I'm leaving, but not because of Argentina, but because my job has become unbearable.

Back