Meat is not what it was

perry

Registered
It is getting so difficult to get a good steak in the city and that saddens me deeply . For us old timers who fell in love with argentinas famed beef in the 1990s comparing it to to today makes one cry in disgust .

Lately I have had some terrible bife de chorizos that tasted like ammonia and were as tough as cows leather. I am left leaving the steak on my plate and leaving the restaurant unsatisfied. There seems to be no quality control on the meat that we are purchasing these days and one does not know if it is grass fed or feed lot . I believe that 90% is feedlot these days . What a shame for Argentina that is has destroyed its signature dish in this manner and that the consumers are not up in arms about it . Is there anyone that knows where to buy genuine grass fed beef ?

It's truly a shame and a mistake. :( Argentina should focus on and protect what they're good at. Once old fashioned values and skills are lost, and small farmers are replaced by large mass production companies, it's very hard to get it back.

Perhaps soy burgers are Argentina's future. :p

I have to agree. 20 years ago you had a hard time finding a bad steak. Now the meat is average at best.
Yesterday on the way to Chascomus I wondered where all the cows are that one used to see grazing in the fields?

Argentina is also exporting most of their prime cuts of meat which is why it can seem impossible just to buy lomo from the butchers anymore. It is a shame. The quality of the meat in just the last two years has fallen dramatically.

The meat in Uruguay is much better in my opinion.

When I want fresh beef I have it delivered to my house ("on the hoof"). :p

Attachments

• beef self delivery.jpg
    beef self delivery.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 87
You just get to the point where you only go to a few places to eat steak. Ours are at home, bought from a top butcher, La Cabrara and Parilla 22.

Argentina in the 1950s was a meat lovers paradise with an average of over 200 pounds of grass fed beef per person per annum . Nowadays this is less than 100 pounds of feed lot beef per person. People are not healthier today that is for sure and considering the high use of Genetically modified food in Argentina this is a disgrace . Processed genetically modified foods have turned Argentina into a carbon copy of the west with all its problems of obesity, skyrocketing cancer rates, and diabetes .

Damn, I've had a few good steaks here but sad to hear it's not very consistent. The search continues...

Back