Meat is not what it was

I don't know if it's just me but I see people's health habits getting worse and worse. I see so many overweight and obese people and smokers are EVERYWHERE, young people, old people and everybody in between seems to be smoking more than ever.

That's interesting. I didn't know Argentina was in the east. :rolleyes:

At least you can still get out of Buenos Aires and get some real meat.

perry said:
Argentina in the 1950s was a meat lovers paradise with an average of over 200 pounds of grass fed beef per person per annum . Nowadays this is less than 100 pounds of feed lot beef per person. People are not healthier today that is for sure and considering the high use of Genetically modified food in Argentina this is a disgrace . Processed genetically modified foods have turned Argentina into a carbon copy of the west with all its problems of obesity, skyrocketing cancer rates, and diabetes .

The decline is dramatic. Too late now I fear. The gaucho,s days are numbered.

When you squeeze the farmers and plow the pastures under for soy in deals that benefit the Chinese there is no return. Doing business with the Chinese is never a win , win equation. Walmart farms are here to stay.

Argentina has the potential to have incredible food as its soils and climate are the worlds best . Using this potential to grow soy for biodiesel fuels and turning our rich famlands into a factory for a vested few is short sighted at best .

Better quality vegetables , fruits , meats must be provided for the local market and the promotion of healthy eating should be a national issue .

There is no doubt that people are getting unhealthier with extremes of diet obvious to all . Coca Cola must love Argentina as it is I believe in its top three markets in the world . What is wrong with water and why does it have to be in plastic bottles .

The health issues of argentinians are rising and cancers, diabetes and other food related diseases are at record levels . There must be more done to create a healthy lifestyle and provide to people better food at affordable prices.

There are so many vegetable stores yet restaurants have so few on their menus. This has always been very curious to me. The quality of the vegetables, however, is usually severely lacking. Now we pretty much only order from Quinta Fresca. It's worlds apart from what we find anywhere else. Real summer tomatoes this week, even an heirloom variety. Fresh picked baby beans, so unlike what's in the stores. Great salad greens and fruit that tastes like they should.

Our maid makes delicious vegetable tortas. We thought they were healthy eating before we noticed the missing liters of oil.....More used in two weeks than I typically use in months. When we send someone from the house to buy meats for an asado we get four times what we normally eat.

As for meat, we're finding incredible lamb and pork (lechon) and prefer them to beef most of the time. We've got half a lamb marinating for Christmas dinner.

Some observations:
Keep in mind that i dont garantee the accuracy ...
I have been told a number of things regarding the local meat , including that argentina will sadly be importing beef from uruguay. I already has, frozen beef . That issue was allegedly at the core of the brawl between Lusteu and Moreno .
A large percentage of argentine beef production has shifted from free grazing to feedlot.
That is an undeniable fact. Cattle dont graze as much , they are pretty much fed balanced meal and all that it implies in rather small corrals..
Another issue is the parallel industry( its large enough to call an industry ) of clandestine rustling that has been on the increase since 2005.
Large mafiosi organizations are not only in the truck hijacking practice , but also in the utright rustling of livestock from large campos.
Obviously there is almost zip official info on this . When I questioned that info , someone told me , "Hey think about it , ever see a slaughterhouse truck making a delivery at any of the thousands of roadside parillas ?".
Its a big industry kids ......

I have never really thought the meat here was that great. However this could be because i grew up on a farm, that produced grass fed meat, that wasnt full of hormones like most other countries - Unlike the americans or europeans or australians who come here and rave about the meat.

As for meat in argentina declining in quality and increasing in price - since the gov increased the export tax on meat and made it more financially profitable to grow crops, argentina went from being the worlds 3rd biggest exporter of meat to a net importer of meat this last year.
Thats is also probably why feedlots have increased in numbers, you can raise more cattle per hectare of land if you lock up the animals in feedlots - thereby reducing their exercise, which makes every mouth full of feed go into growth, and then feed with high yeilding crops (maize), pour fertilizer onto those crops to make them crow quicker, and keeping the animals off the pasture will also stop pasture damage and increase crop yield. The same thing they have been doing in the states and aus for years.

The feed lot raise cattle's meat also has a different taste, due to the change of diet, from grass to meal, and the meat has more fat in it due to the lack of exercise the cattle have. Some people actually prefer this marbled (lots of fat) meat, especially the asian markets.

perry said:
Argentina has the potential to have incredible food as its soils and climate are the worlds best . Using this potential to grow soy for biodiesel fuels and turning our rich famlands into a factory for a vested few is short sighted at best .

Better quality vegetables , fruits , meats must be provided for the local market and the promotion of healthy eating should be a national issue .

There is no doubt that people are getting unhealthier with extremes of diet obvious to all . Coca Cola must love Argentina as it is I believe in its top three markets in the world . What is wrong with water and why does it have to be in plastic bottles .

The health issues of argentinians are rising and cancers, diabetes and other food related diseases are at record levels . There must be more done to create a healthy lifestyle and provide to people better food at affordable prices.

The fact of the matter is that argentines in general are very fussy eaters - why do you think there is not a larger varity of different types of restaurants in BSAS compared to alot of countries.

I have cooked stir fries for friends here and they have just about all turned their noses up at them because there have been so many veges in it and very little meat.
If it isnt meat, pasta or pizza it isnt looked upon as food by many argentines.
Plus the fact that they are also excercising less and eating more sugar filled process foods just added to an already crap diet.

But this isnt just an argentine problem, alot of the developing world is getting fatter..

I'm spending Christmas at a friend's family farm. Yesterday the gauchos who work here slaughtered a lamb for us and then we grilled the thing in the afternoon for lunch & dinner.

Living in the campo provides fresher & healthier food options than in the city. But if you don't have your own land, it's not quite as idyllic.

Back