Med Schools in BA

sergio said:
I didn't know UCA had a medical school. WHERE did you get the idea that the Catholic Church opposes corpses used for medical instruction? Maybe you are thinking of Islam?

I don't know about the Catholic Church, but I do know about UCA from an UCA student that they will not be practicing on corpses as is common at other med schools.

earlyretirement said:
braytrain is totally correct. Not many respectable residency programs in the USA will consider you.
Not true. My best friend is a great neonatologist who studied in Rosario city many years ago, and he is invited to teach and to share his knowledge by really important Universities all over the world.

You might find some bilingual ( english- portuguese) programs in Brazil.

But first you need to come and live in South America and see if you really like it!

Escu said:
I don't know about the Catholic Church, but I do know about UCA from an UCA student that they will not be practicing on corpses as is common at other med schools.

I find this very hard to believe. Rather than deal in rumors, I have emailed a theologian who has a Masters degree in theology from UCA and is a canon lawyer. When I have an authoritative answer I'll post it here.

sergio said:
I find this very hard to believe. Rather than deal in rumors, I have emailed a theologian who has a Masters degree in theology from UCA and is a canon lawyer. When I have an authoritative answer I'll post it here.

The Catholic Church as an institution might be 100% ok with using corpses to study medicine. I don't know if that's the case, because I know very little about the catholic faith.

However, I do know that UCA as an institution has chosen not to use corpses for instruction and they have told students that this is due to their religuos beliefs. A couple more sources for you:

http://www.eliceo.com/formacion/ensenan-medicina-sin-diseccion-de-cadaveres.html

http://www.emprendedoresnews.com/agenda/universitarias/uca-facultad-de-medicina.html (last sentence of first paragraph)

BASailor said:
Not true. My best friend is a great neonatologist who studied in Rosario city many years ago, and he is invited to teach and to share his knowledge by really important Universities all over the world.

Lecturing and teaching doesn't equal practicing medicine. Giving a talk as an expert in the field is one thing. Having someone just graduated from med school in Argentina be accepted to a residency program in the US is completely different.

And it would be *very* difficult if not near impossible for that. Especially for an American citizen.

citygirl said:
Lecturing and teaching doesn't equal practicing medicine. Giving a talk as an expert in the field is one thing. Having someone just graduated from med school in Argentina be accepted to a residency program in the US is completely different.

And it would be *very* difficult if not near impossible for that. Especially for an American citizen.

EXACTLY. That was what I was going to say. I reiterate what I posted that any RESPECTABLE residency program in the USA will accept you.

The situation is quite different when you are a foreign medical graduate from a top medical school abroad and you aren't a USA citizen. I know several FMG's (foreign medical graduates) from other countries that were acceptable to good residency programs.

However the difference is they were from top medical schools abroad and they weren't US citizens. The truth of the matter is that respectable residency programs in the USA will look at you as someone that most likely couldn't get accepted to a USA medical school and decided to take an easier path and go study abroad.

I'm not saying it's impossible but just not too likely a respectable residency program in the USA will accept you under the scenario you mentioned.

Have you been to BA before? Why dont you come down here with some savings for a year or so and enjoy it as a gap year. Or come after you finish studying. Or, is there not an option of an exchange program?

I just think if you have the possibility to earn your degree in a "normal country", why would you not take advantage of that?

In addition, you would need to consider how you would afford to live down here while you are studying. A part time job may not be so easy to get if you do speak Spanish, let alone if you dont. Even then I dont think you could afford to live down here. Most Argentines live at home until they are married (let alone as students). Have you considered these things?

Escu said:
The Catholic Church as an institution might be 100% ok with using corpses to study medicine. I don't know if that's the case, because I know very little about the catholic faith.

However, I do know that UCA as an institution has chosen not to use corpses for instruction and they have told students that this is due to their religuos beliefs. A couple more sources for you:

http://www.eliceo.com/formacion/ensenan-medicina-sin-diseccion-de-cadaveres.html

http://www.emprendedoresnews.com/agenda/universitarias/uca-facultad-de-medicina.html (last sentence of first paragraph)

I have not had time to study this carefully however what I gather is that at UCA they are using a new type of approach that focuses on the living person, rather than a corpse. I have no idea if this is superior to traditional medical studies. I am not a doctor. Perhaps UCA believes their approach is a better one however there is NOTHING in Catholic doctrine that opposes the use of cadavers. There are many Catholic universities with medical schools around the world and I have no doubt that most, if not all, use cadavers. My point was to correct any misunderstanding of Catholic doctrine. My canon lawyer friend has written back to confirm that the Catholic Church does NOT disapprove of the medical use of corpses. UCA may be following a new trend but it is not based on any Church doctrine that opposes the use of cadavers.

Back