medical insurance - recommendation please

goj

Registered
Hello, my husband and I are moving to BA with our 2 daughters in a couple of months for a stay of about 2 years. I was wondering if anyone can suggest a good medical insurance for that that part of the world.
Many thanks.

I've been very happy with Swiss Medical. Aurora Couretot has been my contact there (she speaks English too) and she has been great at setting everything up for me and a lot of other expats too. You can reach her at:

+54 9 11 6180 1556 (from abroad) or 15 61 80 1556 (from Buenos Aires)
[email protected]

I'm with Swiss medical and have found it good but expensive for what you get and not totally transparent. I'm on their basic plan (I'm in my late 20s) and pay just under 400 pesos and then around 40 pesos extra each time I visit a doctor. I did ask for a plan where I didn't pay any extras so was a little annoyed when I got my monthly bill. I also took out the policy just under a year ago (for 320 pesos) and the premium has climbed up steadily.
I've heard that Medicus has a good plan with a deal for expats (I'm sure someone in this forum could point you in the right direction). The coverage is good and I think it's around 300 pesos per month. If I wasn't just about to get on my husbands policy, I'd probably switch myself!

I also have Hospital Aleman. I have myself and my wife on it, full coverage, and costs me about 650 pesos a month, which you can't beat when you think about what you would pay in the States!

I had some friends who had Swiss Medical and the only complaint they had was the price. At the time it was 900 pesos for two, for their best plan, but that about two years ago and my coverage was around 400 pesos for two at the time.

Also, depending on where you are, Hospital Aleman has a hospital in Recoleta which is very convenient. They also have partnerships with many clinics and doctors all through the Capital Federal and the province of Buenos Aires (I'm sure all the medical plans from Swiss, et al do as well).

I pay 10 pesos for a visit to the doctor, and have to pay a bit for and prescription medicine, but you can buy them from the hospital. I was sick with sinusitus about two months ago and it cost me 10 pesos for the visit and 50 pesos (buying at the hospital) for the antibiotics and a prescription spray for my nose.

Back