Medical Insurance to travel to US

Brucemj

Registered
Hi All,

I am researching for my eventual move to Argentina late next year or early 2012. I am too young for Medicare so I am hoping someone out there knows the answer to my question.

While living in Argentina I will have medical insurance (Swiss or Aleman, no se) but I want to return to the US annually for a couple of months and want to know if there is any type of temporary insurance I can have while in the US-I certainly do not want to pay for annual individual medical insurance in the US for the 2 months I will be there--cannot afford it).

Or would my Argentina medical insurance cover me when I travel and if so can I rely on them to cover US medical expenses? I cannot see how they would as US medical costs are so prohibited.

I believe I can buy Travel Insurance to travel to the US but not 100% certain. Also, I am not sure if they are any good or reliable. Anyone know anything about this?

FYI - I will continue to keep a home in the US-not sure if that complicates things.

I appreciate any info that can be provided.

Bruce

We pay Swiss Medical 18 pesos a month for international insurance that is valid up to 6 months while out of the country. It is valid everywhere and we have an 800 number to call if we need to in the States (and many European countries).

Read the small print, you may find you can't take out a travel insurance policy for your home country/country of origin.

Call this outfit http://www.squaremouth.com/ Can highly recommend, use it religiously for the sweetheart when she travels to the USA: $ 500K

Country of residence does enter into the equation.

My research concerning AR carriers is "they reimburse you" for medical expenses abroad. Plus, their maximum coverage allowance would not cover bed-pan service in the USA.
Would advise while visiting the USA, use a USA based underwriter. You get what you pay for.

We have OSDE and there is an additional service through them (or a partner group of theirs) that offers coverage but only up to $10K. Which may cover an average emergency visit but nothing catastrophic.

When we were in the states and before moving here, we moved from our original area of coverage. I was able to get a "temporary plan" through US Healthcare to cover us for the 3 months gap. They have a couple of different options. They offer "travel insurance" as well but you have to have a trip planned, and I cannot say for sure if it does or does not cover home country. I think ours was "Golden Rule" w/US healthcare or something like that. Quite affordable.

Hi Dennisr,

Thanks for the info. I was sure there was someone already living in BA that would have the same situation as me and that they would have an answer. Appreciate it!!

Bruce

Back