Meeting Americans

"Were they obese? Were they wearing baseball caps? What did they talk about? Embassy secrets?"

Mostly the same things you read on baexpats. I did hear someone discussing adamantly that the ambassodar paid for a party or dinner from her own pocket. The most memorable thing I overheard was a middle-aged guy with an American/Canadian accent talking to his MUCH younger, surgically-enhanced girlfriend/wife who could barely speak English ... "I don't make the money for you. I make the money for me."
Were they wearing baseball caps?

As a non American tourist in BA I love meeting US expats they are always the most chill and friendly. Same goes when travelling in Europe

I have had the worst experiences with Canadian expats and found them cold and arrogant almost with an attitude like "I am from Canada so you have to like me and think I'm awesome regardless of how bad my personality really is"

As a non American tourist in BA I love meeting US expats they are always the most chill and friendly. Same goes when travelling in Europe

I have had the worst experiences with Canadian expats and found them cold and arrogant almost with an attitude like "I am from Canada so you have to like me and think I'm awesome regardless of how bad my personality really is"
eh?

When I hear or see people talking about the French or the Quebecois, I start wondering how people start a conversation and/or greet each other to start with, since in my experience they were always correct and very pleasant with me.

Coming to B.A. to meet North Americans is goofy. They probably could not identify in on a map.
Yes, I'm also curious why you want to hang out with Americans? Do you not speak Spanish? I lived in Buenos Aires for 10 years and I almost never hung out with Americans. I just hung out with mostly my Porteño friends. Most of the Americans I was meeting didn't even take the time to learn the language which was disgusting to me.

Strange absit the comment of Canadians being rude. Canadians are amongst the friendliest and most chill people I know. I have a lot of friends from Canada, had an office in Toronto for many years. They are mostly polite and kind. I've never heard people complain about Canadians before..Ha, ha.

When I hear or see people talking about the French or the Quebecois, I start wondering how people start a conversation and/or greet each other to start with, since in my experience they were always correct and very pleasant with me.
This is my experience with Canadians as well. I have many, many Canadian friends, employees, clients. Almost every single one of them is mild mannered, and very police. I'm also a permanent resident in Mexico and about the worst I can say about some Canadians I met in Mexico is many of them never want to learn Spanish.

Go to a town like Puerto Vallarta, and especially Bucieras and you'll see tons of Canadians and proud Canadians hanging Canadian flags out on their balconies. The problem is most of them have lived there for many years and still don't speak any Spanish and they mostly want to hang out with themselves. I just don't get it. Oh well. Different strokes for different folks.

Back