Meeting Americans

It was a bit of a joke. The population of Buenos Aires is around 15 millions. And technically speaking Argentinians are americans, like Mexicans, Chileans, Panamenians...
Using American to refer solely to the people of the United States can generate some confusion down south (I know it for a fact)
Well, that's a relief! I thought I missed the mass migration from the US to Argentina.

Seriously, though, I've never been able to find anything close to a reliable number of Americans in Argentina. The government must (You would think?) maintain the number of immigrants and residents from each country. I've found a reasonably reliable source for the number of immigrants (about 5,000 from the US), but I've never seen a number for residents.

Holas!
I'm visiting Buenos Aires with the idea to retire here. I would like to know where do Americans live in Buenos Aires, in which neighborhoods? I would like to find a residential area but close enough to the wonders of this city. I prefer areas away from constant tourism.
Thanks,
MMO

Holas!
I'm visiting Buenos Aires with the idea to retire here. I would like to know where do Americans live in Buenos Aires, in which neighborhoods? I would like to find a residential area but close enough to the wonders of this city. I prefer areas away from constant tourism.
Thanks,
MMO
Recoleta or Palermo. Recoleta would be a bit less touristy.

Well, that's a relief! I thought I missed the mass migration from the US to Argentina.

Seriously, though, I've never been able to find anything close to a reliable number of Americans in Argentina. The government must (You would think?) maintain the number of immigrants and residents from each country. I've found a reasonably reliable source for the number of immigrants (about 5,000 from the US), but I've never seen a number for residents.
Thinking about this subject for the first time in a long time got me thinking about some new searches to try, and I discovered a document that Renaper published in November of last year.

For those interested, you can find numbers of people with DNIs from the countries with the largest immigrant populations in Argentina, plus the total number of "Others" from the rest of the world.

How many people reading this thread know more than a few Americans living in Argentina, not counting people you may have met from BAexpats? I know almost none. I wouldn't know where to go to meet them.

I retired here in 1999, and I recommend the capital federal in my YouTube videos.
The "wonders of this city" are where the tour buses take foreign visitors.

You are enjoying the best time of life, so I can't think of any reason for living close to Americans. That will prevent you from using or learning a new language, getting to know the culture, and meeting the locals who know the city and its history.
I once had the pleasure of saying to a stereotypical Ugly American in BAires, "You really don't get it...I come here to get away from people like you."

It was a bit of a joke. The population of Buenos Aires is around 15 millions. And technically speaking Argentinians are americans, like Mexicans, Chileans, Panamenians...
Using American to refer solely to the people of the United States can generate some confusion down south (I know it for a fact)
Sure we have North/Central/South Americans

When someone says, "iPhone is made by Apple," nobody seems to be confused and scream, "haha! Apple is a fruit!" Apparently, they can grasp the intended meaning from the context.

I have not yet come across a situation where some smartass would pass up the chance to mention that 'American' is, in fact, the broader term. I don't think it is a genuine confusion. It might be some kind of inferiority complex issue.

One of the reasons I love Buenos Aires is how few US tourists I see, and how easy it is to avoid them. You can see them coming from a mile away- they are covered in Pockets. For some reason, most US tourists are convinced Buenos Aires is on the Amazon, and jungle expedition wear is required, including pockets on your $100 gigantic safari grade bucket hat, 20 or so pockets on your bug-proof jungle cargo pants, and pockets on your sleeves. I guess they are on their way to Antarctica, where, everybody knows, they dont sell pockets. I can always tell when a cruise ship is in town, by seeing the Pocket Count on Florida triple.

Wow, well I certainly hope that the gov doesn't maintain a list of the number of immigrants from each country! Frankly, I'm rather fond of the Arg. Gov. being inept, and hope that they stay that way. I don't want to be on some list, tracked by thousands of cameras every day!! My libertarianism may be showing, and I'm not sure what the gov surveillance is like in BA, but I'm out in the sticks partly because I don't want to feel like I'm being watched and tracked... (writes the guy who's never more than a meter away from his smart phone!)
Although I'm new to this ex-pat thing, I've only been here about a year. I just thought about it, and aside from EZE, I haven't run into one single person from the states. However, it appears that the US may have started down a slippery slope of despair, so I suspect that we all may see more pocket loving Norte Americanos roaming the streets here soon...

Last edited:
Back