Meeting Argies

Most of us wouldn't find Argie offensive at all. As early said, we are not familiar with that term. At least most people I know (for the record I'm only 21) wouldn't.
As for the OP, if you have some free time, you should get involved in leisure activities. I would recommend some dancing classes, as there will be a group already established willing to get to know you.

For Americans here we use the term yanki. im born and raised here in BA and certainly neither I nor any of the ppl i know calls them gringos (i hear this term used when refering to americans on movies and tv series all the time, so we know that gringo=american but we just dont use it...for some reason yanki sounds more apporpriate :p )
Anyways, I have family in Entre Rios province and i have visited there all my life and they use the term gringo but only when refering to local blondes, it doesnt matter their heritage (german, italian, french, english, irish, polish), if they are blondes they will be nicknamed gringo and it´s always used in a friendly manner, never in a negative way.

Btw, someone mentioned futbol player Gabriel (Gringo) Heinze putting him as an example. The reason he is called gringo is because he is of german family in Entre Rios. he is actually from the city of Crespo very near from where my family lives and this is a German town, so almost everybody here is nickamed gringo hehehe, it´s quite funny when everyone has the same nickname :p

jazrgz said:
Btw, someone mentioned futbol player Gabriel (Gringo) Heinze putting him as an example. The reason he is called gringo is because he is of german family in Entre Rios. he is actually from the city of Crespo very near from where my family lives and this is a German town, so almost everybody here is nickamed gringo hehehe, it´s quite funny when everyone has the same nickname :p

Are you telling me everyone is NOT called Che?

hehehehe hmmm, in this case it would be more like a che gringo this che gringo that

Hey, I also live in Las Canitas. Send me a PM if you want to go grab some cafe con leche.

Take a bus outside of Capital federal. Foreigners are very hard to find in about every place and there is no other way then mixing it with the locals

NikBaires said:
'Argie' may not be politically correct, but it is quicker to say.....
Sure! Use it at your own risk and then let us know it it went :)

I live in San Rafael, Mendoza and had the same problem upon moving here. I lucked into starting to take tango classes. I did have a friend who spoke English and helped me but continuing to learn to dance tango and the social events around milongas, etc. has really given me a tremendous base of locals and social contacts but also business contacts. It has also allowed me to have the opportunity to practice Spanish with people that know you a little, want to talk to you anyway and are happy to help.

For what it's worth....

RS

Back