Meeting Argies

John.St said:
I don't think calling an Argentino an Argie is any worse than calling a Scotsman "an Englishman" (Grinning, ducking and running for cover :D)

Never use the expression myself, though.

There you go what could be worse than that :D against that calling an Argentine Argie is a compliment

John.St said:
I don't think calling an Argentino an Argie is any worse than calling a Scotsman "an Englishman" (Grinning, ducking and running for cover :D)

Never use the expression myself, though.

Call me an Aussie and I'll buy you a beer.

rrptownley said:
I apologise if offence has been caused on behalf of all my fellow Gringos.

Yours sincerely,

Sr. Rosbif/Pom/Limey/Lobsterback/Pohm/Sassenach/Teabag/Tommy/Brit/FEB/Rooinek

Wrong,

Mexico: "Americans"=Gringos

Argentina: USAnias=Yankees (Arg. yankis)

Argentina: Gringos=Italians (Particularly in the country side, La Patria Gringa)

From Wiktonary: The word "gringo" is used mostly as a synonym of "Italian" or a person with European ancestry, especially if the person is blonde, even when the person was raised and born in Argentina, it refers to their origin and color of hair. In here it's not used as an insult. People use it even as a normal nickname. For instance, El "Gringo" Heinze (Gabriel Heinze, Argentinian soccer player), just to mention one case between the many famous and ordinary people with that nickname.

Cheers

Hi Agua. I also live in Las Canitas (been here for three whole weeks!) and I'm lucky enough to have a Porteno friend in Belgrano and two others around the city. If you'd like to meet for coffee sometime, maybe I can then introduce you to some folks. At the moment, I'm sick with a very nasty sore throat but definitely on the mend so give me a call or send an email next week (#4899-1604) if you're interested. Peaco

Lucas said:
Wrong,

Mexico: "Americans"=Gringos

Argentina: USAnias=Yankees (Arg. yankis)

Argentina: Gringos=Italians (Particularly in the country side, La Patria Gringa)

From Wiktonary: The word "gringo" is used mostly as a synonym of "Italian" or a person with European ancestry, especially if the person is blonde, even when the person was raised and born in Argentina, it refers to their origin and color of hair. In here it's not used as an insult. People use it even as a normal nickname. For instance, El "Gringo" Heinze (Gabriel Heinze, Argentinian soccer player), just to mention one case between the many famous and ordinary people with that nickname.

Cheers

USAnians is a non existent term that was invented on this board. Nobody uses that. They just say yanki. Gringo is was never used for Italian or Spanish, or French, it is mainly used to call Germans, Polish, Hungarian, and the rest of Europe.

Nikad, in the province of Buenos Aires gringos are indeed people who either are Italian or have an italian-sounding name. There are a few ex football players who were nicknamed gringo, like el gringo Scotta, a former San Lorenzo player. I had a friend in school and he was also gringo...as well as his father, uncle and younger brother. They were all argentines, had an Italian surename.
But then there were also some people with German names who were also called gringos.
Regarding Argie, I think most Argentines don't even know some people call them like that. I guess only those who travelled abroad or had contact with english-speaking foreigners.
Whereas I don't find the term insulting - I see it rather as a nickname - I noticed some people do use it in an offensive manner.

agua said:
Hey,

So I've been living and working here for 6 months now and have been having trouble meeting Argentines, something I'd like to do. I realize in 6 months I'm not going to have a complete support network of friends here, but I just don't know where to go or what to do to meet them. It's frustrating because I live in Las Cañitas, a very vibrant part of the city, and I go out and see a million Argentines happily eating dinner with their friends. In my ideal situation I'd have a mixture of expat and Argentine friends and probably an Argentine girlfriend (especially to help me master my spanish and learn more about the culture). If it matters, I'm 24. I swear I'm a very good person, just slightly confused on what to do!

I guess my point is I feel like I'm in a rut where I'm not going to meet others because I'm not doing anything to change that. What do you recommend I do to meet nice Argentines? I'd really appreciate only constructive comments.

Thanks!

Tell them you have money to loan or invest. You will be friends with all of them. And as an added bonus, I am sure this will also cure you of this need.

dont worry too much about the Argie bit, we locals live in blissful ignorance of any negative meanings, in fact some believe its quite endearing and friendly!! i lived in the UK for 15 years and know that it definitely sounds offensive abroad, just dont explain this to anybody and you will be fine!

Yankees (yanqui) refers only to Americans. Gringo refers to AMERICAN and ENGLISH people, but no italians please!! those are Tanos, polish are Polacos, French are Franchutes, Spanish are Gallegos! some people have quite an imagination!!

Back