Men Who've Made A Home Here For Love ♡

Glad to hear they're out there, Borracho-- now that I've found a place I badly need to find some good coffee. But maybe that's a different thread...

Yes that would be actually: http://baexpats.org/topic/24692-favourite-cafe-in-bsas/#entry193598

but, but, but the Argentine women are so very neurotic. However you can cure that by telling them they are beautiful...... every 20 minutes.

True. But what I like the most is the amalagamation of beautiful women from all over the world here. Every weekend i go out, I end up meeting a chica from a different country! So not solely relying on Argentines, here! he he

Came here to travel and take a break from London, found a girl, found a job, split with the girl, now considering the future.
Not the worst place to be single ;)

My story a variant, a failed variant: I came to BA 4 years ago as a divorced 57-yr old semi-retired consultant. Was married 24 years and have 4 great grown kids. I came to BA to learn Spanish, to meet my Tucumano relatives, and to start out afresh living in this big exciting city. Too shy and language-challenged to strike up conversations with attractive women, I threw myself into spanish classes (la UBA y privadas) and onto match.com.ar (initially dating only English-speakers).

Fast-forward 3 years, after having met and stayed happily together with a wonderful porteña, speaking Spanish 95% of the time...By then I had fallen completely out of love with Argentina, had started resenting/hating the day-to-day frustrations and crazy/corrupt govt. policies/propaganda/politics, crumbling infrastructura, senseless train crashes, killer floods, toxic clouds, inflationary spirals with sad impact on my porteño friends, rising crime y entraderas, Malvinas sabre-rattling, garbage/bus/subte strikes, foaming-at-the-mouth K-tweets, etc. etc. I nearly bought a depto but walked away last minute. In essence I let it all "get to me", so I had to leave, she had to stay. Tough decision to leave, but I didn't see Argentina reversing its downward cycle for at least 6+ years, was (selfishly) unwilling to live through it, and was not willing/ready/able to 'steal her away' with the commitment of life-long support and periodic trips back to BA. So I left. That was 3 months ago. I still love and miss la porteña y la Argentina, remembering the good times and slowly forgetting the bad.

Now I'm sampling life in Spain, which for all of its current problems with unemployment, depression, corruption scandals etc., feels more to my liking, more "civilized", (and BTW, surprisingly inexpensive). At least for now. So this thread is supposed to be about men who made a home in BA for love. I had a wonderful 4 years in BA, but sorry...on that score I failed.

Fast-forward 3 years, after having met and stayed happily together with a wonderful porteña, speaking Spanish 95% of the time...By then I had fallen completely out of love with Argentina, had started resenting/hating the day-to-day frustrations and crazy/corrupt govt. policies/propaganda/politics, crumbling infrastructura, senseless train crashes, killer floods, toxic clouds, inflationary spirals with sad impact on my porteño friends, rising crime y entraderas, Malvinas sabre-rattling, garbage/bus/subte strikes, foaming-at-the-mouth K-tweets, etc. etc. I nearly bought a depto but walked away last minute. In essence I let it all "get to me", so I had to leave, she had to stay. Tough decision to leave, but I didn't see Argentina reversing its downward cycle for at least 6+ years, was (selfishly) unwilling to live through it, and was not willing/ready/able to 'steal her away' with the commitment of life-long support and periodic trips back to BA. So I left. That was 3 months ago. I still love and miss la porteña y la Argentina, remembering the good times and slowly forgetting the bad.

Now I'm sampling life in Spain, which for all of its current problems with unemployment, depression, corruption scandals etc., feels more to my liking, more "civilized", (and BTW, surprisingly inexpensive). At least for now. So this thread is supposed to be about men who made a home in BA for love. I had a wonderful 4 years in BA, but sorry...on that score I failed.
I know that feeling, although I'm still here. For how long not sure. Where in Spain did you end up?

My story a variant, a failed variant: I came to BA 4 years ago as a divorced 57-yr old semi-retired consultant. Was married 24 years and have 4 great grown kids. I came to BA to learn Spanish, to meet my Tucumano relatives, and to start out afresh living in this big exciting city. Too shy and language-challenged to strike up conversations with attractive women, I threw myself into spanish classes (la UBA y privadas) and onto match.com.ar (initially dating only English-speakers).

I also share many of JayKTusa's negative feelings about Argentina and, could easily double or triple his list of complaints. But, strangely, I'm happy here. Perhaps its my extraordinary Portena. Perhaps its the spirit of the people here. Or maybe I've got a case of the Stockholm Syndrome.

Back