Mercado Central

It isn´t that much if you have a large apartment.
This is what I bought in the past, it is about 6 weeks supply. I only did this in the winter, summer stuff would rot.
15k potatoes (a big sack, not sure of kilos). keeps for months in a cool place.
5k onion keeps for months
5k batata keeps for a month
10k squash (assorted) keeps for 2-3 months
5k fruit (this is what I buy a week, not too much, but more will rot, use extra for jams)
10k vegetable (eggplant, zuchini, carrots, bell peppers last a long time, lettuce and spinich for imediate use)
2k cheese (freeze half)
6 liters milk (to freeze for future yogurt making)
2k fish (mainly fish patties and maybe shrimp)
4k chicken (one or two).
Already above 45k, not counting nuts, honey, oil, etc. This is if you can cook/can stuff, I would cook down a lot of this, freeze, etc. If you are short on time and storage space, do not recommend. But spending 98 pesos, you´d better buy a lot, if not it makes sense to go to a neighborhood fair and look for local sales.
We are two people, but hubby eats a LOT of fruit, about 1k or more a day.

I dare say most of us don't have large apartments and, in general, kitchens are tiny here, with no room for a separate pantry. We have 60 square meters, reasonably spacious for one or two people, but our kitchen is nevertheless a tunnel.

I dare say most of us don't have large apartments and, in general, kitchens are tiny here, with no room for a separate pantry. We have 60 square meters, reasonably spacious for one or two people, but our kitchen is nevertheless a tunnel.

So don't buy 45 kgs of food at mercado central. What's your point?

Montauk's was that if you're going to spend 100 pesos to go, you should make a lot of food and I agree with her.

Sorry 2 chickens, but I also bought a gallina (egg laying hen) for soup, it was very good, and it was like 4-5 kilos. Boil for 3 hours AT LEAST.
@ajoknoblauch we have different definitions of large. Mine is about 10m2 smaller and I have an open kitchen but there is small storage space, and only a half meter counter space. I just keep the bags of food in a plastic box I bought in easy, and cook down what I can´t store, and the freezer is full. It is about priorities and setting up your kitchen right, if you want you can google "food storage" and learn something useful from the crazy mormans.
That being said, have not gone back in a year due to time constraints (and I think my husband considers going a 10th layer of hell) and am buying a lot of pre-made food like pre-breaded eggplant milanesas. The big question is "do I have more time or money"? The mercado is a 4-5 hour time committment with getting there, back, shopping, etc
Many camporas orgs offer buses for free, might be worth looking into.

So don't buy 45 kgs of food at mercado central. What's your point?

Montauk's was that if you're going to spend 100 pesos to go, you should make a lot of food and I agree with her.

Merely to suggest that the trip would only be worthwhile for a handful of people. But ideally I'd rather not have to spell it out.

Back