Mercado Central

What do you use for your yogurt culture?

I make it using 1 bag of milk + 1 -2 yogs plain 200ml cups.
You boil the milk 3 times in a row (bring to boil, turn it off, bring to boil, turn it off, etc).
Then you take the pot and set it down wherever you are going to let it sit for 8-10 hours. Once you mix in the yogurt, DO NOT MOVE THE POT.
It has to be really warm, the warmer the better so set it on some towels and blankets that you can then wrap around it after.

You'll know when it's ready because you will be able to stick your pinky into the milk and count to 10 and JUST BARELY be able to keep your pinky in without burning it. If you feel the burn before you finish the 10-count then you need to wait a few minutes more. When you can hold your pink in for a 10-count and it's really hot but you can manage, then you pour in that yogurt and whisk whisk whisk away!! Whisk it a lot so it gets all mixed in there. Then put on the lid, wrap up the towels, blankets, DO NOT MOVE THE POT!! Don't even knock it by accident or you're screwed. (not screwed but it won't form a consistency, will just stay liquid).

The last time I did this I don't know what I did wrong in the process but it didn't come out as thick as I'd like. Remember warmth, not moving it, whisking it enough, and you should get it somewhat thick. Not as thick as the original Yogs you mixed in but at least half way there. Maybe use 2 yogs per liter of milk instead of 1. Then you have a better chance for thickness. Even though this most recent batch came out pretty thin, it still tastes great. Great to have a ton of plain yogurt on hand for whatever I need. I keep it in a tupper in the fridge. It lasts pretty long too as long as you don't double dip!! (the germs from your mouth that are on the spoon going back in is what makes it go bad more quickly). You can flavor it with jams or honey.

There are a bunch of videos on YouTube, some a lot more complicated then the others. It's definitely been a trial-and-error process for me! I'm better at paneer.

Never thought I'd get som many comments
Yes I agree I'd have to buy a lot to justify the 98 peso bus trip!
mil gracias
Esteban

Anybody with a car from San Telmo/Centre/Puerto Madero going to Mercado Central and willing to share the costs of the ride? I'm in San Telmo and very flexible in time.

For yogurt culture I use yogs natural yogurt (no sugar). I also have a yorgurt maker, the process is quicker than that described above: boil milk, let cool, put in yogurt maker, 12 hours later, wallá!
you can use any store yorgurt.

For yogurt culture I use yogs natural yogurt (no sugar). I also have a yorgurt maker, the process is quicker than that described above: boil milk, let cool, put in yogurt maker, 12 hours later, wallá!
you can use any store yorgurt.

I saw that but didn't want to be limited by the cups. I like to keep it in a giant tupper and take what I want... anyway how is the texture?

And I'm in Palermo and would gladly share the costs to mercado central ,too

I also am flexible time-wise
thanks
Esteban

Good thing about the yogurt maker is that it idiot proof. It comes out a lot like yogs or the one the comes in glass jars but I think a better flavor (less bitter, more tangy, but I like my yogurt tangy) and perfectly creamy. Of course, yogs puts geletan to make it firm, I don´t, but some of that geletan probably makes it firmer.

Back