Mexican Food

Fabrica del Taco was a huge let-down for me, I think it's more a scenester place. I've heard Maria Felix is the best, but with the price to match that claim. Frida Kahlo is Nuñez is supposed to be awful (according to my friends and the reviews on Guia Oleo). I've given up, I just make Mexican at home now. They have taco seasoning packets at the supermarkets and soft tortillas ("Rapiditos" brand) plus you can make a sour cream look-a-like with Mendicream/Casancream + salt + lemon juice.

I have never had Mexican food in BA and I wouldn't dream of going to a Mex restaurant here because I love real Mexican food too much. I live a block from Maria Felix and walk by there all the time. The other day I stopped to look at the menu, and laughed out loud. They got it all completely wrong. Nada que ver!

Maybe I'm pretty easy to please (I'm no foodie!) but I love Fabrica del Taco, so did my two mexican roommates when I lived with them.
I also loved Frida Kahlo in Nunez!
I've never been to Maria Felix

I've tried all of those places looking for good Mexican food in BA. The Mexican food here really isn't "Mexican." It's more like they took the typical Argentine menu and added a "Mexican" twist by using tortillas, refried beens, and shredded lettuce. The meat still tastes exactly like any restaurant asado. I laugh when I see a plate labeled 3 Peppers (VERY HOT). I once resorted to bringing my own chili sauce. The waiter was curious so I gave him some on a piece of bread. He raced to the kitchen and we didn't see him again for 20 minutes!

The best Mex I've ever had here in BA is the Mex I make at home.

I understand the frustration with ethnic food, I can see how sushi falls short as well. I will never understand anyone saying steak is bad in Argentina. That's like having someone tell me the lobster they had in Maine sucked.

Though I think Fábrica del Taco's OK if I need a snack and I'm nearby, I really don't bother with Mexican food in BA. I do go for Peruvian food, which is the southern hemisphere counterpart (in the sense of coming from a country with diverse and creative cuisine, with a bit more spice). Even the cheapo Peruvians, such as Status in Congreso, can be pretty good.

Had poor enough experiences with Frida Kahlo and the other one Mole on Cabildo.

More or less given upon it. Maybe there is a gap there for a budding gastro entrepreneur!

Back