Middle class neighborhoods

I am planning on moving to Buenos Aires in June or July to teach english, but many of the neighborhoods I've seen in articles as the best ones for expats appear touristy and expensive. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on some more middle class or cheaper neighborhoods that would be good safe areas to find an apartment in. Also, if you have any pitfalls to avoid or general advice that you'd like to share I would love to hear it.
Are you planning on living here for a couple of years or more? In order to rent most apartments you need to make a two year commitment. In order to stay here for two years you need to qualify for a DNI. If you can't qualify for a DNI, you will probably need to stay in an Airb&b or rent a room in a shared apartment. You are probably better off renting something short term to see if you like living here in any particular barrio before signing a long term rental contract.

Unless you are going to own a car, I agree with the advice of sticking close to big avenidas with subte and bus service. Saavedra or Barracas are both nice quiet neighborhoods that will take you an hour or an hour and a half to get to from many places.
Villa Crespo/Chacarita, between Corrientes, and Cordoba, would be my choice these days- still quiet and middle class, but with lots going on in terms of music, restaurants, easy access to transit, and local stores that sell everything you need.

Enclosed is a sample of the approximate rentals monthly values for most barrios..you will notice that the rentals are mostly between $15,000 pesos and $20,000 pesos Arg. Approx, the average being $16,167.
The difference is about $5000 pesos or US$68 per month (blue Dollar value). Makes little sense to move into a more Isolated Barrio for a small savings ..??? away from the subway , etc?

View attachment 6611
Are these figures a good proxy for what you will pay for short term rents though? Most Airbnb renters want USD$ and in my experience $500 pcm is pretty basic for one or two room apartment in convenient area. I would be interested to hear if people get better deals for (say) 3-6 mont rentals which Airbnb tend not to offer too much?

Are these figures a good proxy for what you will pay for short term rents though? Most Airbnb renters want USD$ and in my experience $500 pcm is pretty basic for one or two room apartment in convenient area. I would be interested to hear if people get better deals for (say) 3-6 mont rentals which Airbnb tend not to offer too much?

The figures published by the Real Estate Report should be used as a reference, for long term rentals .They don't handle temporary rentals.
For temporarios such as Airbnb, fully equipped units start like around US$ 600 per month for of a basic studio/ 2 ambientes.

I hear from friends that for 3 month rentals, and up, they make counter offers for several Airbnb Units , and may get up to a 20 % discount

The figures published by the Real Estate Report should be used as a reference, for long term rentals .They don't handle temporary rentals.
For temporarios such as Airbnb, fully equipped units start like around US$ 600 per month for of a basic studio/ 2 ambientes.

I hear from friends that for 3 month rentals, and up, they make counter offers for several Airbnb Units , and may get up to a 20 % discount
Yes that sounds about right and of course the owners are in good position if they insist on USD$. I found the air bnb service charges were heavy and if the owners quote cleaning bills as well then you can pay a lot.

Contracting a rental in BA with Airbnb, payment is made in advance via CC on the Airbnb online system and Only quotes payment in dollars. The owner gets paid in pesos from Airbnb at the official rate.

IMHO most recomendable locations are a couple of blocks on each side of Av. Santa Fe from Avenida Callao to Scalabrini Ortiz and up to Plaza Italia.i The Land of Oz

On the other hand if you are landing for the first time in Bs. As. all mentioned Barrios may be Ok? Except that most Expats are in the Palermo Area? Most products Expats buy are there!? Except for Barrio Chino?

Like in the Wizard of Oz, When Dorothy reaches a fork on the road . She wonders which one is the correct road. the answer is " If you don't know what you are looking for, any road may lead you there"

Back