Might Move To Buenos Aires! Need Some Info.

Matias, I hate to always disagree with you, but this just isn't true. Flights within Europe are much cheaper than flights within Argentina or flights within South America.

Also, flights from Barcelona to destinations like Africa, India, the Middle East, Thailand, etc. are much cheaper than from here.
It kind of just proves his mind only exists in the microcosm of "Argentina" and has no idea how things work in other parts of the world.

Matias, I hate to always disagree with you, but this just isn't true. Flights within Europe are much cheaper than flights within Argentina or flights within South America.

Also, flights from Barcelona to destinations like Africa, India, the Middle East, Thailand, etc. are much cheaper than from here.

Everything's cheap for El Chapo's tunneling consultant.

Funniest thing I have read all day - thanks... You of all people should know that is not the case. Your buddies at INDEC have a habit of 'massaging' the data to make up numbers.

thats why I was talking of INE, from Spain. Thats not Argentina ;)

thats why I was talking of INE, from Spain. Thats not Argentina ;)

The implication is that there's a good chance that like INDEC (post Nestor ofc),
they too cook the books to fit an agenda, something every nation does, just some
do it shamelessly, i.e. Argentina and poverty statistics even still.

And flights originating in Argentina, even at the dolar blue rate, are insane, the cheapest
you can possibly get is ~100 USD, each way, at dolar blue and DNI rate, while in Europe, I
flew from Sweden to Scotland for $30 USD one way, tax/fees inc, and Italy to Morocco for
$60 each way, tax included.

And flights originating in Argentina, even at the dolar blue rate, are insane, the cheapest
you can possibly get is ~100 USD, each way, at dolar blue and DNI rate, while in Europe, I
flew from Sweden to Scotland for $30 USD one way, tax/fees inc, and Italy to Morocco for
$60 each way, tax included.

Yes, but as we learned from Mathias: in Europe the evil companies make a profit! So it's way better here with a state-airline that provides a bad service and over-priced flights, but they make everything but profit :D

Yes, but as we learned from Mathias: in Europe the evil companies make a profit! So it's way better here with a state-airline that provides a bad service and over-priced flights, but they make everything but profit :D

is it argentina the only country with a state airline? is it that crazy to have the state an official airline to connect points and have some routes than the market (i.e. some private company like LAN) can not provide? with privatised Aerolineas we had half of the country isolated, you know? and why was that? because a very important percentage of the routes weren profitable!! Today we have an airline that do not have the priority of making money but to connect the country, to integrate some locations to the country. It will probably be profitable some day, there are some locations that werent profitable in the past and they are now.

privatised Aerolineas was a disaster, a lot more than it is now.

The bottom line, the question here really is: is it the profit the only criteria to manage a national airline? I know you gringos can not understand this and only think of "of course" as an answer, but the past experiences on this country, being Aerolineas from the State and private show us other options.

is it argentina the only country with a state airline? is it that crazy to have the state an official airline to connect points and have some routes than the market (i.e. some private company like LAN) can not provide? with privatised Aerolineas we had half of the country isolated, you know? and why was that? because a very important percentage of the routes weren profitable!! Today we have an airline that do not have the priority of making money but to connect the country, to integrate some locations to the country. It will probably be profitable some day, there are some locations that werent profitable in the past and they are now.

The bottom line, the question here really is: is it the profit the only criteria to manage a national airline? I know you gringos can not understand this and only think of "of course" as an answer, but the past experiences on this country, being Aerolineas from the State and private show us other options.

You're asking the wrong question, Matías. The right question is, why do private airlines not find it worthwhile to invest in Argentina?

is it argentina the only country with a state airline?
No, but it's probably the worst managed one by a huge margin... Other countries actually put someone in charge who knows the business...

is it that crazy to have the state an official airline to connect points and have some routes than the market (i.e. some private company like LAN) can not provide? with privatised Aerolineas we had half of the country isolated, you know? and why was that? because a very important percentage of the routes weren profitable!! Today we have an airline that do not have the priority of making money but to connect the country, to integrate some locations to the country.
It's all about costs and what you get for investing it. In a country which lacks a decent road system, flying to the outskirts might not be the best use of a limited buget...

It will probably be profitable some day, there are some locations that werent profitable in the past and they are now.
With Recalde as manager, I'd take any bet that aerolineas won't be profitable ever. Regarding the locations: out of interest, which weren't profitable before and are now?

The difference is if a private company fucks up, it's mainly the problem of the private company. Currently, it's the problem of the tax payers as they are paying for it.

The real question is, why are in other countries/continents a ton of private airlines, connecting even smaller cities and with lower prices/better service working (and make profit, which result in taxes earned, not spend), while Argentina thinks it needs a Nac&Pop solution?

You're asking the wrong question, Matías. The right question is, why do private airlines not find it worthwhile to invest in Argentina?

because, as I said there are routes that are not profitable. what shall we do with them? isolation, like with grupo marsans? we shall forget about connecting those cities?

Back