Migraciones advice

TarHeelBluze

Registered
So my (first) tourist visa expires on the 22nd. I'm leaving the country (for Chile) for a long weekend on the 19th, and coming back on the 23rd.

My first question is whether I can renew my tourist visa upon returning without first going to Migraciones, i.e. can I pay my 300 pesos and get another 90-day stamp at customs in the EZE airport, or do I need to go to Migraciones before the 19th to get the extension.

Second, I am planning to be here a year and will be doing a good bit of international travel late in the year. So overstaying is not an option. I want to go to Migraciones and get a visa to stay legally. I am working for an NGO here in a volunteer capacity. I just graduated from law school in the US. What is my best shot? Do I need to sign up for a language school to get a student visa? What should I bring to Migraciones when I go? And can I just walk in, or do I need an appointment?

Thanks so much.

John

1) You don't need to pay anything. You will be stamped in with another 90 day visa when you return from Chile. (The 300 pesos is only paid if you renew at Migraciones in country - you can only do that 1x in 6 months).

2) You don't just *get* a one-year visa and from what you're written, you wouldn't qualify for any except maybe the student which would require a great deal of effort and time. It takes 13 weeks to even get your background check from the US which is a requirement here. If you are planning on only being here for 1 year, quite frankly it's not possible - your time would be up before your paperwork was complete.

You already will have 6 months taken care of, just leave the country (or renew in country) at 270 days and you will have your year.

Well, you don´t need to a residence permision to live here. If you are not a tourist you are an inhabitant. As an inhabitant you have the same rights than a citizen but not the politics rights. Among others, to leave, stay, travel and re entry the country. But this is not automaticable enforzable, you have to claim for that through habeas corpus at Court. It can be done in advance or when (if) you have problems to re entry the country. It takes 24 hs to get the judge answer. Any question send me PM. Regards

Back