Migraciones Asking For Social Security Card?

Jakes

Registered
Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has seen this before, and/or suggestions for proceeding.

I just submitted to Migraciones (in Mar del Plata) what should have been ALL the documentation required to initiate the process for permanent residency based on marriage to an Argentinian. However I was amazed that at the conclusion of the initial meeting (and payment of all fees) the Migraciones officer concluded I needed to show my US Social Security Card, since the FBI background report references the last 4 digits of my social security number.... The officer said it must be the card, and not just a document showing the number. I've searched online and have not seen any reference to this being requested of anyone. I plan to return soon in the hope of getting a second opinion, but I wonder what if something else is behind this request. While I may have had an actual card decades ago, I would need to apply for a replacement card from the Social Security Administration, which would be complicated to do from here. Seems like an odd request to me though. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions!

-J

That request seems strange. I didn't have to produce my social security card when my FBI report was filed with the court. The FBI isn't going to process a records request unless the name matches the social security number on the application.

Check with the Federal Benefits Unit at the Embassy http://argentina.usembassy.gov/service/federal-benefits.html and see if they can help get a replacement card.

or

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5.pdf

When I was applying for perm res many years ago they changed the rules every five minutes. It was totally capricious. I really don't think they wanted to give it to me though I totally qualified.

I think I lost my card half a century ago, and never bothered replacing it.

No clue where my SS card has been for over 10 years.

When I went from Perma-tourist to Citizen, I didn't need it. (Birth certificate either as it turned out, though I got it.) Because of Bajo's work, it all was based on my passport. Then again, this was in BA.

I wasn't asked for my SS card either but our lawyer tells me that it's really up to Imigraciones. They can ask for whatever they want at the time. So that might be it. My husband is deceased and at the last minute they wanted a copy of my marriage certufucate so I had to send for that and have it authenticated.

I had something strange happen leaving Argentina this time. Buying my bus ticket I gave him my DNI and he wasn't happy at all and wanted to see my passport.So I gave him that. I never had that happen before. Then at the border leaving Argentina they asked for my passport as well. But nothing unusual after that. I don't know what that was about! Someone told me fake DNIs are easy to get and they might have been checking on that.

That request seems strange. I didn't have to produce my social security card when my FBI report was filed with the court. The FBI isn't going to process a records request unless the name matches the social security number on the application.

Check with the Federal Benefits Unit at the Embassy http://argentina.usembassy.gov/service/federal-benefits.html and see if they can help get a replacement card.

or

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5.pdf

He is dealing with immigration.

It is not crazy that if a document says that John Smith, social security 1111111111 has no record, you evidence that this paper is about you.

The embassy can do an statement clarifying the this social security belongs to his name and this passport number.

The signature of the Cónsul doesn t need to be apostille and you have to translate it later in mar del plata.

If they are not happy with that, your lawyer should appeal before a federal judge. I had the impresión that the employed of that Court were unusually well informed about citizenship and immigration.

Here they will ask for whatever they want. You'd think they'd have a checklist they follow and not add random items.

When I got married my local registro civil wanted a certificate of "not married."
When I came into the country last week, they wanted to see my visa fee sticker, even though I have permanent residency. Thankfully I had my old passport with me should just this scenario happen.

Sometimes trying again on a different day with a different agent works, but if you're stuck you can only try to produce the document (or some version of it.)

No clue where my SS card has been for over 10 years.

When I went from Perma-tourist to Citizen, I didn't need it. (Birth certificate either as it turned out, though I got it.) Because of Bajo's work, it all was based on my passport. Then again, this was in BA.

You dedided to go for citizenship? Wow! Congrats on getting it.

Back