Migraciones website: visa rentista/pensionada


Jul 27, 2006
Here is the link to the Argentine immigration webpage that lists the
various types of visas that are available and the msword docs that
detail the requirements to get them.It is possible to ask questions (in Castellano) by email. Ther is also an information desk at migraciones, but you can sit and wait a couple hours for a turn there.


You can also view important details at the following link:http://www.mininterior.gov.ar/migraciones/radicacion_e_mercosur.asp A) DOCUMENTACION PERSONAL
* Identidad: la identidad se acredita con el Pasaporte o Certificado de Nacionalidad VIGENTES.

* Ultimo Ingreso al país:
Se acredita mediante el sello estampado por la autoridad migratoria en
el Pasaporte o Tarjeta de Ingreso correspondiente, o bien mediante
Certificado de Ingreso extendido por el Área Certificaciones de la DNM
(Hipólito Yrigoyen 952, CABA).

* Nacimiento: se deberá acompañar la Partida de Nacimiento correspondiente.

Certificado de antecedentes penales del país de origen o del lugar
donde hubiere residido los últimos 5 años anteriores a su arribo (sólo para los que hubieren ingresado al país siendo mayores de 16 años).

* Certificado de antecedentes de la Policía Federal Argentina o del Registro Nacional de Reincidencia (sólo
para mayores de 18 años): se tramita en el Edificio Nº 4 de la DNM en
el horario de 9 a 12, o en la calle Azopardo 620 (Policía Federal
Argentina), o Tucumán 1353 (Registro Nacional de Reincidencia) ambos en
la Ciudad de Buenos Aires.The docs I needed from the USA included:1. A copy of all of the pages of my passport (bearing the stamp of my initial entry into the country as well as the 90 day extension I received at the prorrogas de permanencia at migraciones just before the tourist visa expired).2. A certified copy of my birth certificate (must be issued 2000 or later). 3. A letter from the home town police dept stating
I had no criminal record for the past five years. And, specifically for for the visa rentista: 4. A letter from a bank officer verifying the history of monthly deposits from a trust AND your ability to access funds using ATM's in Argentina.
5. A copy of the
trust itself bearing a cover letter from the lawyer whose firm created
the trust, OR a cover letter from the trustee (probably a LOT cheaper than a letter from a lawyer) stating the status of the trust and the stream of income.OR: Evidence of an annuity and supporting cover letter from a CPA.
From Argentina: 6. Certificado de antecedentes de la Policía Federal Argentina.7. Photocopies of ATM withdrawal receipts for three months from banks in Argentina. I request all of the US docs by email, fax and phone. All the
letters were notarized by a local notary public including the cover
letter for the trust. The trust had been notarized when it was created. All of the document EXCEPT my passport were certified with the seal of Apostille by the Secretary of State's office in Chicago and sent to me in Buenos Aires by a friend. All (including the passport) were translated and "legalized" here prior to submission to migraciones.
When you present the documents at migraciones
there is no "personal interview". It is simply a review of the
documents (no questions about who I was or why I wanted to live in
Argentina). No certificate of health is required.As I've indicated in other posts, I was asked to have ALL
of pages of my financial docs translated (some were not) and to return
with a photocopy of ATM receipts for three months IN Argentina. That added a few days to the process but it was a MINOR detail. I also obtained the Certificado de antecedentes de la Policía Federal Argentina at the office of migraciones (which includes being fingerprinted), but I had to go to an office on Tucuman to pay for it.

I applied for AND received the visa rentista IN Argentina. Everyone at
migraciones was courteous and no one even hinted that I "$how my
gratitude" or say that it was "not possible" or "against the rules". Yes, I did go to migraciones with a friend from Uruguay who interpreted for me and that made it all a lot easier. Now, a year
later, I could go with someone else and interpret for them. I applied
for and received the DNI by myself. It is a simple process and is legally
required once you have the visa. All you need for the DNI is:1. An Argentine visa good for one year (aka the "residencia precaria"which is actually a single sheet of paper).2. A certicficado de domocilio from the nearest comisaria (10 pesos).3. A copy of your birth certificate (with the seal of apostille,
translated and legalized).4. A translated and legalized copy of all pages of your passport (apostille seal not
required). You certainly do not need a lawyer for any of this. The presence of a lawyer only shows that he has landed a big fish. None of the
Brazilianas, Bolivianas, or Uruguayans sitting beside you at migraciones or the registro de las personas will be there with a lawyer...just their families. There is no "application" to fill out for either the visa or the DNI. You just submit the papers (hand them to the person sitting across the table from you) and they enter the information in the computer. You will submit the papers for the visa at migraciones (only in the morning). You will return in a week (if I remember correctly) and, if all is in order, go through several steps including a mug shot. You also pay $200 pesos at the first or second visit. You return again in a few weeks and you get the paper which grants you the residencia precaria (aka your visa). You must have it to receive the DNI. The Regristro de las Personas (Av 25 de Mayo) accepts the papers for the DNI in the mornings, but you will return to receive it in the afternoon...90 days later. You can have the necessary photos taken there. They will use one immediately and remember to bring the second photo when you return. Be sure to take $15 pesos for the DNI fee and $5 pesos for the (2) photos you will need. They don't make change. Remember to take both the originals and legalized copies of the appropriate documents with you when you go to migraciones and regristro de las personas. They keep the copies and you WILL retain the originals (in spite of what one web site offering "professional" assistance indicates).
For the visa renewal, I only had to return to migraciones with a new set of ordinary photocopies of the trust with the letter from the lawyer and I also took a
photocopy of the letter from the bank (already bearing the seal of
Apostille, translated and legalized). The person reviewing the
documents (at the desk of prorrogas de permanencia in the office of
migraciones) first noted that the letters were a year old and said that I need to "reverify my income" My response to her was that the cover letter
from the lawyer verified that the trust was irrevocable and the letter from the bank
also reported that I had been receiving the monthly income from the trust for more
than five years prior to my application for the visa rentista. She
accepted this explanation, and didn't even ask to see the photocopied receipts for
the past three months of ATM withdrawals (which I had with me). As soon as I received the renewal of the visa I went to the Regristro de las
Personas to renew the DNI. You can renew the visa and the DNI as much
as 60 days prior to expiration and they both will have the same
expiration date. All you need to renew the DNI is the "renewal" paper of the residencia precaria which you will receive from migraciones, your passport and the DNI. It doesn't even matter if there is less than a year before your passport expires. (I believe that passports can be renewed at the various embassies, and I am certain of this for US citizens.)
If anyone has specific questions, please post them here.
The seal of Apostille is a certification of the documents which MUST be performed in the country of origin. Technically, I believe the US embassy in Argentina is considered US "soil" so that might be a possibility. One phone call should provide the answer. I was able to have all of my docs receive the seal of Apostille by the Secretary Of State of Illinois (at the Chicago office).
The "translation" and legalization of the documents must be done by an Argentine "public translator" and certified (legalized) by an escribano. You also need legalized copies of all of the documents. (2 translated and legalized copies of your birth certificate and passport are required...one to obtain the visa and one for the DNI). It was not necessary to have the Apostille for my passport.
The "legalized" copies have all of the appropriate stamps and signatures. You keep all of he originals.
Here are details from the miraciones website:

  • Toda documentación expedida en el extranjero deberá estar
    visada por el Consulado Argentino en el país del que hubiese emanado la
    misma, o bien legalizada con el sello de “Apostille” (para países no
    limítrofes ratificantes de la Convención de La Haya de 1961).
  • Toda
    documentación redactada en idioma extranjero deberá estar traducida al
    idioma castellano por Traductor Público Nacional y legalizada por el
    Colegio de Traductores en el cual el profesional estuviese matriculado.
  • Toda la documentación deberá presentarse en original y fotocopia, a fin de proceder a su certificación.
I believe that the first condition states that the documents must be "visada" (endorsed?) by the Argentine consulate in the country of origin OR receive the Apostille in the country of origin. The later is certainly true if one is applying for the visa IN Argentina. I would not be surprised if they need the seal of Apostille in either case.

If you need to request documents from the US and you don't have a friend or relative (I had both) there to gather and take them for the apostille, you can have them all sent to a private company that will have all of them receive the seal of Apostille for you and send them to you here. I believe there is a flat fee for the service (multiple documents) provided they have all of the documents to send in one package. You can perform a websearch for this service. www.apostille.com is one site I checked out. If, however, the embassy here will perform the Apostille, it would probably be cheaper than paying a private US company.