Migration Office In Capital Federal (Ba) & Visa Issues

You don't need a valid visa to register at Registro Civil. They only look at your name and passport number. Set the date for your wedding at Registro Civil and worry about the visa problems later. In fact, you don't have to do visa runs. Just pay the fine the day you leave Argentina. The more you do the visa runs the more you are on their radar.

The worst advice anyone can give you is to do visa runs. Its BS, you waste a lot of money and you are at constant risk of being denied entry if some immigration officer isn't getting laid enough.

To keep this short, you don't need a valid visa or a visa at all to be able to register with Registro Civil.

How do I know this? Personal experience.

Once you get married, go straight for the citizenship. If you're an American, you won't lose your citizenship (contrary to all the stupid rumors) if you get Argentine citizenship.

As with Registro Civil, I'd hate to disagree - it depends on the person who processes your turno coz the lovely Dario at Uruguay y Cordoba flipped through my passport page by page until the end and he was looking for the last entry to make sure I was legally staying in this country. On top of that, he refused to give us our requested date - it's between 10 to 29 working days before your requested date but he got stuck on the "29" and wouldn't budge. There was a lot of angst (and swearing outside of the building on my part) dealing with him. Eventually we gently "forced" another officer Marcela to give us the date.

We almost couldn't get married! After having announced it a year ago and 25 overseas guests having asked for leave and booked their flights!

This is Argentina. Today yes. Tomorrow maybe. To err on the side of caution, try to be as legal as we can possibly manage, I reckon.

Spanish Judge Baltazar Garzon , Human Rights Expert, obtained his DNI from CFK automatically....!!

600x0_610421.jpg

Just back from Migraciones. All done with renewing tourist visa for the first time. The whole process took an hour. So glad I learned from this forum that I didn't have to wait in line. They repeated the info that I can't do it this way again next time. Have to leave the country and re-enter.

Sorry if this constitutes hijacking a post, but I can't find a place for a new post - but it's related. I have an expired tourist visa (about 7 months expired) and am traveling to Brazil in a month. Would it be better to go to immigrations ahead of time and pay the overstay fine (which is $300 pesos and I understand it) or wait until the Argentina/Brasil border? Has anyone experienced any problems when trying to do this? I'd love to hear from someone with first hand experience. Thanks

Back