Where is the Visa extention/imigration office in Retiro?

eschal

Registered
Does anybody know where the Visa extention/migration office is in Retiro exactly. Retiro makes me dizzy...I'm going to try to get a 90 day extention.
Cheers

Antártida Argentina 1355. It's a short walk from the Retiro station (but it will help if you look at a map first).

Ask for the prorrogas de permanencia (you'll really impress them if you prounounce it correctly).

Be advised that if you get the extension there, you will NOT be able to go to Colinia and get another prior to the expiration of the extension.

If you plan to leave Argentina within the 90 days granted by the prorroga it's probably the best course of action, otherwise you may benefit from reading some of the other threads on the subject.

Thanks! Just to clarify...if I get an extension here, I won't be able to get an additional extension via colonia?

eschal said:
Thanks! Just to clarify...if I get an extension here, I won't be able to get my passaport stamped if I leave to colonia and back?...They won't let me back in?

They'll let you back in but they won't give you a new 90 day visa. You'll have to wait until after the prorroga you are planning to get at migraciones expires, pay the fine (possibly 500 pesos by then) as you leave, and then reenter with a new 90 day visa (if everything remains the same as it is today).

How long are you plannig to "stay" in BA?

I'm planning on staying here for at least another 12 months.

Right now the only consequence of being here with an expired tourist visa is paying the fine when you leave. Even if it is increased to $500 pesos that's undoubtedly cheaper than going to Colonia three times to "stay legal" by geting several 90 day visas.

The fact that last year's decreto gave migraciones agents "police powers" doesn't seem to have made much difference.

Back