Milei's in charge !!!…Wow !!!

Maybe but it's not fair to refer to his policies as "Reaganomics". When he said there is no more money he was right. WHERE is the money to keep on spending at previous levels? The only way is to keep the printing presses going which obviously generates serious inflation. If Milei had not won, what would be happening? How long until inflation levels reached Venezuela levels? One can dislike Mieli for a variety of reasons but WHAT is the solution to the economic crisis? Do people REALLY believe the status quo could have been maintained by Massa? If Milei does not finish his term, what then?
I didn’t necessarily say it wouldn’t help the economy, I just say that people will get tired of it very quickly, before the private sector has a chance to take up the slack from all of the money the government is cutting from the economy.

I also note you didn’t come out and say that there’s little chance of that happening…

I didn’t necessarily say it wouldn’t help the economy, I just say that people will get tired of it very quickly, before the private sector has a chance to take up the slack from all of the money the government is cutting from the economy.
You're probably right. The changes that need to occur are vast and will take time. A whole culture has to change. I just hope that the process can begin and that people will see SOME results. Meanwhile I hope there will be less focus on Milei's eccentricities (and I hope he will not accentuate them) and more on his actual policy moves. I hope too that there can be fewer references to Trump. Argentina is not the US. Milei is actually quite different from Trump. The comparisons are meaningless in the Argentine context. The media in the US and Europe that keep making these comparisons don't understand Argentina.

Well there’s going to be a lot of unhappy people, some may actually have to work for a living, or be unemployed.
This will effect mostly public employees, civil servants types. Many of the unions are just fronts for organized crime, just look at the Moyano family head of the trucking union, the same family has been at the helm since the Menem years.
I would 100% support a DNU or law that targeted people like the Moyanos, but that's not what this does. For example, one of the biggest changes is that the "trial period" is extended to 8 months, which is insane. If you need 8 months to figure out if someone is a good fit at your business you're an incompetent manager. The reality is this will be abused to deny people permanent positions so you can cycle through people during say an uptick in shopping at Christmas, or hiring someone with no intention to keep them because someone has a licencia, or if inflation is really bad, and people start complaining about their salary at 6 months you can fire them without a valid reason.

The caste will be fine, just like it was under Menem, Nestor, Cristina, Macri, and Alberto/Massa. It's the average person, who isn't a ñoqui that I worry about.

I don't see the way out of the debt other than isolation. Could Argentina simply close its borders and become self-sufficient?
you have just suggested the cornerstone of Peronism...
Steel Mills, Nuclear Power, Rastrojeros, the Pulqui Jet, La Bolita, Siambretta's, and so on.

I would 100% support a DNU or law that targeted people like the Moyanos, but that's not what this does. For example, one of the biggest changes is that the "trial period" is extended to 8 months, which is insane. If you need 8 months to figure out if someone is a good fit at your business you're an incompetent manager. The reality is this will be abused to deny people permanent positions so you can cycle through people during say an uptick in shopping at Christmas, or hiring someone with no intention to keep them because someone has a licencia, or if inflation is really bad, and people start complaining about their salary at 6 months you can fire them without a valid reason.

The caste will be fine, just like it was under Menem, Nestor, Cristina, Macri, and Alberto/Massa. It's the average person, who isn't a ñoqui that I worry about.
Exactly. Till now he did not show any intent to cut the cancer. I guess he has to thread carefully, if he even has any wish to touch that part. For now he's after people, who spend money in Argentina. Where all this money goes? Even ñoquis aren't buying properties in Miami, someone else is doing that. Who and how, and is maybe something wrong with that?

Previous system made people and businesses lazy. Subsidised utilities and no competition at all. Now anyone can import anything as they like. Wait till H&M and IKEA arrives at these shores with the employment opportunities as well as the competition. Local businesses will either up their games or disappear. In a country like Argentina you can’t find decent bedding, sheets and linens at decent prices. There’s no time for laziness anymore, there’s no free money either. Some people are so annoyed about that!

Previous system made people and businesses lazy. Subsidised utilities and no competition at all. Now anyone can import anything as they like. Wait till H&M and IKEA arrives at these shores with the employment opportunities as well as the competition. Local businesses will either up their games or disappear. In a country like Argentina you can’t find decent bedding, sheets and linens at decent prices. There’s no time for laziness anymore, there’s no free money either. Some people are so annoyed about that!
La marca H&M llega a la Argentina en junio 2019

You can wait for a long time, international companies have come and gone, because (in many cases) paying a greater than 100% effective tax rate is not a sustainable business model if you are not following Argentine tax avoidance techniques.

International companies and competition will only come back after the dust settles and Argentine politics proves it can remain business friendly over longer periods of time. So not in the first 10 years.

In the short term, it would be mainly Argentines who need to make the investments.

Back