Milk sold in bags?

SaraOR

Registered
Anyone know how you're supposed to use the bags of milk sold in stores? They seem cheaper than the boxes, but I keep buying boxes since I'm unsure of how to keep a bag of milk. Someone told me I could buy a special container that holds the bag? I haven't seen anywhere to do that.

It also seems like skim milk is incredibly difficult to find in the boxes, and maybe it's not even available in the bags?

You buy a little milk bag pitcher, and it holds your bag of milk.
It has a little handle, and you can pour it nicely.

A cheap made in china version is only a couple of pesos, at most neighborhood ferreterias.

Skim is called parcialamente, I think. I have always been able to find it in my corner kiosks, and at my local chinese grocery.

I've never understood the bags either. I buy the boxes.

On the plus side, it lasts for weeks.

SFMike said:
I've never understood the bags either. I buy the boxes.

On the plus side, it lasts for weeks.

Is it weeks?

Just curious because I was looking on the back of the box I have today and the best I can make out (with my limited Spanish) is it can last 1 week.

Is that 1 week on the counter unrefrigerated (once opened)?

Anybody know?

SaraOR

Put bag down with the bottom resting on a flat surface, hold it by the top, cut the corner off with a pair of scissors and pour it into any 1 litre (or bigger) pitcher.

I don't think the bags are any better, but they ARE cheaper - just be careful the one(s) you buy aren't leaking!

Skim milk is labeled "descremada, low-fat is parcialamente descremada

Are you from Oregon?

Saludos,

David

SaraOR said:
Anyone know how you're supposed to use the bags of milk sold in stores? They seem cheaper than the boxes, but I keep buying boxes since I'm unsure of how to keep a bag of milk. Someone told me I could buy a special container that holds the bag? I haven't seen anywhere to do that.

It also seems like skim milk is incredibly difficult to find in the boxes, and maybe it's not even available in the bags?

We had these damn bags of milk 20-30 yrs ago where I grew up in Canada.

We had plastic pitchers that worked perfectly for them. You just put the full bag in, snip off one corner and that was that.

No real idea if they have that here as I just use the boxes.

dsc said:
Is it weeks?

Just curious because I was looking on the back of the box I have today and the best I can make out (with my limited Spanish) is it can last 1 week.

Anybody know?

one week once opened

You can get the little containers for the bags at those shops that sell all sorts of plastic stuff (buckets, boxes, chairs, tupperware etc) if you don't find them at the supermarket or ferreteria. They don't cost much and as someone as said the bas are much cheaper. or just empty into an empty water bottle, or of you've got enough support on your fridge door, just put it there as it is (I have done this and it stands up surprisingly well, though you do need o remeber it's there).

Ries said:
I have always been able to find it in my corner kiosks, and at my local chinese grocery.

Be careful with the Chinese groceries & supermarkets. They have been known to turn the fridge off at night to lower their costs.

dsc said:

Anybody know?

Once opened, keep it refrigerated

Great, thanks for all the help everyone. I've been buying SanCor's Milk that's labeled "Leche 0%" because I thought that was their version of skim, but if descremada is skim, then that's much easier to find.

Unfortunately, I'm not from Oregon (I wish I were). I just lived in Portland for awhile and it's my favorite place in the states. Hopefully I'll eventually move back there.

captdave said:
SaraOR

Put bag down with the bottom resting on a flat surface, hold it by the top, cut the corner off with a pair of scissors and pour it into any 1 litre (or bigger) pitcher.

I don't think the bags are any better, but they ARE cheaper - just be careful the one(s) you buy aren't leaking!

Skim milk is labeled "descremada, low-fat is parcialamente descremada

Are you from Oregon?

Saludos,

David

Back