Milk

TarHeelBluze

Registered
So,

The only milk I've seen for sale in the supermarkets is sold unrefrigerated and in boxes that don't reseal. Further, once I buy it and bring it home and refrigerate it, the milk *always* smells a little funny. As a paranoid American, I tend to just toss it out.

What's the deal. I mean, is it safe to drink? Is the smell normal? Is it ok to leave opened in the fridge? And why the hell isn't it refrigerated in the supermarket?

John

Milk generally comes in bags, not cartons. Check the refrigerated aisles where the yogurt lives. The plastic bags at the bottom are all milk.

TarHeelBluze said:
So,

The only milk I've seen for sale in the supermarkets is sold unrefrigerated and in boxes that don't reseal. Further, once I buy it and bring it home and refrigerate it, the milk *always* smells a little funny. As a paranoid American, I tend to just toss it out.

What's the deal. I mean, is it safe to drink? Is the smell normal? Is it ok to leave opened in the fridge? And why the hell isn't it refrigerated in the supermarket?

John

Be sure you´re not buying longlife milk which does come unrefrigerated..."normal" mile is available in cartons and bags and is available in all known supermarkets including Coto, Jumbo and Disco...I´ve survived on it for 6 years now so I can guarantee it´s safeeegahhaaaha:eek:

jp said:
Milk generally comes in bags, not cartons.

Don't forget to buy a jug to put the bag in once it's open. They sell special ones designed for the bags - simple plastic jug, should cost more than AR$10

You can buy cartons of milk (whole, 2%, or skim), too, just look on the shelves in the refrigerator sections. They're extremely common.

agree with all of the above, but would also agree that the milk tastes a bit different here. No idea why ...

Different cows eating different grass = different milk. It's the same as baking bread somewhere that has different flour with different water is going to yield a different loaf.

I am a huge milk drinker, like a glass of milk with dinner kind of milk drinker, and I find the milk here to be different also, but I like it. It's heartier.

I have read about people's distaste for the dairy here and I don't get it. The butter is like Euro butter, amazing and like real churned butter. The cream is thick and rich. The ice cream is amazing. The cheese is a little strange at time, very white, but I don't think that the US really competes very well on an international cheese stage anyway.

In the end, you just gotta eat what you like.

The difference is solely in the pasteurization process (heating process to remove the bacteria). Milk in the cartons is ultra pasteurized, which means it has a shelf life of like 6 months. The carton will read UAT (instead of UHT in the states) somewhere. I believe once you open the UAT and refrigerate you need to drink it within a couple days because you've now altered its state.

Like all foods its a matter of taste as to what you prefer, but for whatever reason I actually prefer the carton milk here to the organic non-fat I buy in the refrigerated section in the states. I find it sweeter or something (shocker something sweet in Argentina!). I've only found two types of non-fat milk here 0% grasas and much of the milk here has a higher fat content than we are used to finding easily in the states.

fifs2 said:
Be sure you´re not buying longlife milk which does come unrefrigerated..."normal" mile is available in cartons and bags and is available in all known supermarkets including Coto, Jumbo and Disco...I´ve survived on it for 6 years now so I can guarantee it´s safeeegahhaaaha:eek:

What's the difference between longlife milk and normal? I've been buying the ones that come unrefrigerated. Is there any difference nutrition wise?

Back