Mold HELP!

msamale

Registered
The unit above our apartment had some plumbing issue which has caused a leak into ours. Since we were away last week and didn't discover it until last night, I don't know how many days the leak has been going on, but there has already been a significant amount of soaking in the walls and ceiling. The handyman came by today and took out one of the walls in the bathroom (which proved the leak was from the unit above), and the musty, mildewy, moldy smell is overwhelming.

My main concern is my family. My wife is pregnant and we have a 1.5 year old. I am no chemist or biologist but my gut tells me this is a majorly bad situation. Both my wife and I have had headaches today, are stuffed-up and feel a little spacy. So, to help me feel much better, does anyone know of any mold inspection and / or removal experts they can recommend?

Also - does anyone have any advice? Should we get out asap? How long does it take for these types of issues to get fixed - adjusted for Argentine time that is? I know in the states there is a special paint that they can put over new drywall that seals the mold out after something like this happens, but I have no idea if that sort of technology is available here.

As always any advice is greatly appreciated.

I would say yes. If you're feeling symptoms, at least get your pregnant wife out. That can not be good for the baby. Try to arrange a temporary place for her to stay. And try to get that sorted asap. When dealing with pregnancy, always good to be on the safe side.

Also be sure to let everyone know that your wife is pregnant and you need this to be taken care of instantly. This is Argentina, if you don't complain enough, they will most likely not take it seriously.

You can call Municipalidad de Buenos Aires ( I assume you live in the city), 24/7 at the phone number 147. Let us know if you need help with the Spanish.

msamale said:
I am no chemist or biologist but my gut tells me this is a majorly bad situation. ... Should we get out asap? How long does it take for these types of issues to get fixed - adjusted for Argentine time that is?
My advice is to move immediately.

The spores from some types of mold can pose more danger to your health than smoking cigarettes.

Walls and ceiling need to be sealed, in Europe it usually takes months for the walls etc. to recover - in humid BsAs???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mold#Health_effects
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mold_health_issues#Mold-associated_conditions

In The Lancet: http://www.thelancet.com/search/res...Name=AllFields&journalFromWhichSearchStarted=

Why don't you contact the administration? They should take care of it ASAP. Call them every day or several times a day if needed. I have had water problems 2x and both times they have been repaired within 1 week. Then let the walls dry and paint again. Just open your window a lot.

If you have access to a de-humidifier, put it in the room and close the doors/windows to suck as much water out of the walls etc.. A de-humidifier probably doesnt cost much if you dont know anyone with one.. maybe a US$100..

Then spray it with bleach (1/2 beach 1/2 water) mixture or white vinegar - this will kill the mold.. and also get rid of the smell..

I would say if this has just happened, you probably dont have to worry to much about the mold - mold related health issues take months to manifest.. but if its been damp in the wall for ages, then it could be a problem..

And if you are that worried about the wife.. move her out just to put your mind at ease..

I don't know how serious the health risk is. Ask an allergist. I would follow Katti's advice about calling the administration constantly I'd also get a lawyer to send a CARTA DOCUMENTO to both the owner of the flat above and to the administration citing the health risk, stating that your wife is pregnant and demanding immediate action.

A carta documento has legal implications. It is a precedent in case you go to a lawsuit. The carta documento is a proof that you tried to contact the consorcio and neighbour to fix the problem ASAP. Usually, when they receive the CD will work very very fast. I again recommend you to call the Municipalidad, which probably is also going to ask them to pay a fine (to the Municipalidad) for the damage created and not fixed in a short time.

Make enphasis in your family situation!

Any update?

Back