Money in BsAs

heygirlhey

Registered
I'm moving to BsAs from Miami in three weeks to study at UTDT for a semester (I'll be in Argentina for about 5 months). I'm not sure what the best way to deal with money since I will only be in BsAs short term.

Obviously I wouldn't feel safe carrying a bunch of cash around and using my American credit card all the time would be pricy. Would it be possible/a good idea to get a bank account? What about travelers checks?

Any other financial wisdom?

ATM´s work fine here, specially the Banelco network.
Yust in case bring two cards mininimun, and carry only one on yourself.
If lost or stolen you can always use the other,etc.
Some ATM´s give dollars, but not all.
Traveller checks are fine too (CASA PIANO will cash them right away).
Credit cards could be used for hotel, purchases, etc.
Do not worry, we´re behind in the world but not that much.
Good luck Henry

Bring $10,000 cash in a brown bag.

Debit card and absorb the charges from your bank (about $4 yanquis).

banks don't give dollars unless you have a local dollar account.

Open a Charles Schwab account where you get the ATM fees refunded. Bring enough cash down (if you are renting an apt) to pay for the first month & security deposit up front.

I'm from Australia so ATM cards work best for me through the Citi network because I can withdraw 2.5k pesos per day if required. I'm limited to a much smaller amount with Banelco so I stay away from their ATM's which are clearly identified with the 'Banelco' brand they display. Each transaction through Citi hits me up for about 4 bucks plus the bad exchange rate they give. If cash wasn't such a risk I'd bring USD's into the country every time in enter.

Back