Moneygram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetas

Registered
I see exchange rate on MoneyGram 195 (for USD). WU currently at 188

Has anyone else tried MoneyGram?

lol, I tried to create an account in MoneyGram and I got this friendly message, I assume they detected the VPN.
After careful review, we can't approve your request for an online profile - it has been closed.
Please visit one of our locations to transact in person.

lol, I tried to create an account in MoneyGram and I got this friendly message, I assume they detected the VPN.
After careful review, we can't approve your request for an online profile - it has been closed.

Do you need to use a VPN to make an account over here (arg)?

Why the VPN?

For some unknown reason I discovered Moneygram just yesterday, GBP rate was 240 with WU and 253 with Moneygram, no transaction fee and money got into my Brubank account in less than 2 hours against the usual 3 or 4 days it takes with WU. Can't get the reason why some people still go with WU when knowing Moneygram is way better, faster and cheaper, at least when it comes to GBP.
Just signed up. Tried to send bank to bank but it told me all of my US accounts are unavailable for some reason. Tried it then with a debit card and it asked me to verify my ID. I submitted my passport and it said it needed more time to verify. We'll see I guess...

Edit: it went through (no VPN) now I'll wait for it to hit my arg account

Last edited:
Just signed up. Always good to have another alternative available if needed.

I got the money already. It took 38 minutes
So you paid a 1.99 fee? You received almost 4 pesos more than WU? And fast. Not bad. Debit card to Argie bank account? Something to consider if these services go back above the blue again sometime in the future.

So you paid a 1.99 fee? You received almost 4 pesos more than WU? And fast. Not bad. Debit card to Argie bank account? Something to consider if these services go back above the blue again sometime in the future.
Yeah mainly interested in another option especially incase wu goes tits up. I'm going to try to add my checking account again tomorrow.

Honestly this transfer business depends on which country you are from, what the currency controls are and, what options are even linked to your home country's banks. In the past I had to jump through hoops to send money via WU. With MoneyGram - which I switched to now after being hesitant - I can send via my home country's banking app and it takes a few minutes to receive. MoneyGram always used to exchange slightly lower than WU but now its been on par or even higher than WU. Honestly, the convenience was the selling point for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Expat Life 299
Artur Expat Life 0
A Expat Life 0
P Expat Life 4
Y Expat Life 14
Back