Govt Says No More MoneyGram?

YanquiGallego

Registered
So, I was supposed to recieve a money transfer from the States via Moneygram and after having spoken with 3 different locations (Palermo, Recoleta, and Microcentro) all 3 have told me that as of yesterday, the Banco Central Argentino has blocked ALL Moneygram transfers, including those entering the country--and i dont just mean recieving in US dollars, I am talking about the ones changed into pesos!

Can anyone confirm this or was I just having a stroke of bad luck with 3 different locations? I am antsy now that if they have done this with Moneygram that they may do it with entities like Xoom or Western Union and there will basically be no way to get cash sent in.........

don't know about the incoming ones, but outgoing ones through moneygram was blocked since second week of May...

Shouldn't be a surprise. Expats who live here have to adapt to the culture. That's the way it is - take it or leave it.

I am guessing that if they are blocking it, its because they dont have any control over the money movements via places like moneygram, where the banks they do. So maybe it will be either ATM withdrawals or TT to bank accounts here.

So why is it then that Xoom is not also shut down? I don't get it.

YanquiGallego said:
So, I was supposed to recieve a money transfer from the States via Moneygram and after having spoken with 3 different locations (Palermo, Recoleta, and Microcentro) all 3 have told me that as of yesterday, the Banco Central Argentino has blocked ALL Moneygram transfers, including those entering the country--and i dont just mean recieving in US dollars, I am talking about the ones changed into pesos!

Can anyone confirm this or was I just having a stroke of bad luck with 3 different locations? I am antsy now that if they have done this with Moneygram that they may do it with entities like Xoom or Western Union and there will basically be no way to get cash sent in.........

MoneyGram still operate in Argentina, but!
If you have visited Metropolis offices, reason of the answers was: Metropolis have been withdrawn as agents of MG (and ITAU Bank also) few weeks ago, and actually only Piano Bank & MaguiExpress offices (few in Capital Federal) realize MG transaction. You could ask at their offices for actual possibilities... sometimes they can do that (with extra fees).

Thank you for contacting MoneyGram International.

At this time we have not hear any information about Argentina blocking the transactions sent from USA. The restrictions hat Argentina have is that Financial institutions in Argentina must comply with a regulation which requires agents to convert money transfers into local currency before paying the customers. Because of this regulation, if a customer wants to receive USD, it is possible that the funds are first converted to local currency and then converted to USD again. This conversion may result in a loss to the customer. Banco Piano and Maguitur locations use this conversion process before paying in USD resulting in a possible loss to the customer. Maguiexpress and Metropolis do pay the same USD amount as stated in the transaction if US dollars are available

mjackson1946 said:
Thank you for contacting MoneyGram International.

At this time we have not hear any information about Argentina blocking the transactions sent from USA. The restrictions hat Argentina have is that Financial institutions in Argentina must comply with a regulation which requires agents to convert money transfers into local currency before paying the customers. Because of this regulation, if a customer wants to receive USD, it is possible that the funds are first converted to local currency and then converted to USD again. This conversion may result in a loss to the customer. Banco Piano and Maguitur locations use this conversion process before paying in USD resulting in a possible loss to the customer. Maguiexpress and Metropolis do pay the same USD amount as stated in the transaction if US dollars are available
They are NOT going to pay in dollars --- period.

Back