Monger - Sex Tourism In Argentina Documentary Premiere

When's the last time you heard of someone kidnapped and forced into construction work?

It's a whole other topic, but this is happening to the Nepalese in Qatar. Nepalese men are promised high salaries, adequate housing, health, transportation, etc. When they arrive they are placed in labor camps, have their passports confiscated, charged for their flights, housing, "orientation fees", make pennies a hour and forced to work hours on end in dangerous conditions. Those who speak out are thrown in jail. Many are dying on the job.

Not comparing one thing to another, but unfortunately slavery is still alive and well in many forms.

Almost. decad
It's a whole other topic, but this is happening to the Nepalese in Qatar.

Almost a decade ago the same was told about Dubai and Pakistani workers. Still people brag about living/going on holiday in Dubai/doing business there.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai_b_183851.html

I'm not anti sex-trade. I certainly wish there were a lot more protection available for those that worked in it.

Then the first step is to stop stigmatizing it. The more people stigmatize it, the more underground the profession goes, and therefore more vulnerable it becomes to sex trafficking.
Prostitution is (or should be) viewed as a job, just like any other. Comment such as "Many don't involve physical force or overt coercion but it still doesn't mean a woman has chosen that way of life totally voluntarily and in full understanding of what it means." do exactly that. If there is no coercion and the women are adults, how can it not be voluntary? Are you implying that they are stupid? That they are retarded? Have then been hypnotized? That they are incapable or making their own decisions? Because if there is no coercion, that is the only way it can't be voluntary. It is this stigmatization, overt or not, that helps keep the profession on the shadows and make human trafficking possible.

"Dutch cities that opened legal prostitution zones saw reductions in sexual abuse and rape by about 30-40 percent in the first two years"

Valid, I was thinking construction jobs in the western countries but good point. However, even considering that fact, the comparison between the sex trade and the rest of the jobs mentioned isn't exactly valid.

And where did I or have I ever stigmatized the sex trade? You are putting your own bias into my comments. If you believe that every woman and man working in the sex trade fully understood what would be entailed, is supremely happy and reaping all the economic benefits of said job..well, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

If you believe that every woman and man working in the sex trade fully understood what would be entailed, is supremely happy and reaping all the economic benefits of said job..well, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

If you believe every woman and man working on ANY job fully understood what would be entailed, is supremely happy and reaping all the economics of said job....So now for a profession to be valid everyone who enters in must know in advance exactly what it entails? That he/she must be happy with its economic benefits?
Do you think this guy and thousands like him, who die every year by the hundreds while exercising their profession without anyone giving a shit, knew in advance what their jobs really entailed?
I sure hell did not know what my first job at a call center would entail. It was demeaning, and emotional and mental abuse from the customers was not uncommon, and as sure as hell I was not paid enough to put up with the torment, insults and the grueling hours while remaining smiley, happy and cordial during the most hellish calls.
So what? Should I have played victim? Should I have claimed that even though no one coerced me to take that job, I really did not have a choice and was actually forced into doing something that I did not truly understand what it entailed?

Really - what are you not grasping here? Do you really think working in a call center is akin to working as a prostitute in most of the world? If given a choice between working in a call center or working as a prostitute, which do you think *most* would choose? Which do you think is safer? Which involves high physical risks? Which has a high chance of rape? Which is a legal profession world over and which faces a high level of arrests? Which has more drug use? Which profession has a lot of physical assault by your bosses? Which has an estimated start as a sex trade worker at 15 (which may be high but there is no hard data available but polifact does a good discussion: http://www.politifact.com/oregon/statements/2013/mar/02/diane-mckeel/Is-average-age-entry-sex-trafficking-between-12-an/)

Sorry, just not buying it. I don't have a problem with the profession in and of itself. I have many, many problems with the framework around it. I actually think regulation/decriminalization would be a very good thing for the workers and would provide them a lot of safety that most lack.

Back