More Border Controls?

They should just take the bus overland back to Arg the long way. The border crossing at Fray Bentos is super lax (besides confiscating our raw meat once on the way into UY).

I've made one trip to Colonia and will be at another 90 days by December 16. But I don't plan on leaving AR until Jan 29. The problem is, I am planning a trip to Peru Dec 20. My question is - 1. should I go to Colonia and get another stamp on Dec 16 (will they give me one?) or 2. should I overstay, go to Peru, then come back after the New Year? I just want to make sure when we return from Peru Jan 12, will they let us in knowing we overstayed our last visit by a few days? Or am I just being paranoid? All these posts about questioning and new rules is making me nervous! I'm a US citizen. Appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

I've made one trip to Colonia and will be at another 90 days by December 16. But I don't plan on leaving AR until Jan 29. The problem is, I am planning a trip to Peru Dec 20. My question is - 1. should I go to Colonia and get another stamp on Dec 16 (will they give me one?) or 2. should I overstay, go to Peru, then come back after the New Year? I just want to make sure when we return from Peru Jan 12, will they let us in knowing we overstayed our last visit by a few days? Or am I just being paranoid? All these posts about questioning and new rules is making me nervous! I'm a US citizen. Appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

If you have only been in Argentina, 5 months now, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I am presuming you have tickets back to the US on January 29th? If so bring proof of that travel and you shouldn't have an issue. As for the overstay, last I knew it was $300 pesos, so you have to determine if you would rather take a trip to visit Uruguay or not and if you're planning on returning to Argentina for more than a few weeks in the future.

http://www.clarin.co...1251475275.html

Twelve Colombian citizens detained (and held) at EZE airport yesterday under the new "false tourist" regulations; according to article the detained claimed to have all their papers in order yet were detained based on suspicion alone of being "false tourists" and will be deported back to Colombia on the next available flight.

My personal opinion on this is that I am quite pleased to see Migraciones enforcing the law and doing what they can to prevent potentially/likely problematic individuals from entering the country under false pretenses. Anyone claiming to be a tourist (seeking entry to any country) should be willing and able to present proof of financial solvency on demand; tourists from developing countries should be specifically prepared for this and should expect to be rejected if unable to demonstrate financial solvency- tourists are supposed to provide an economic boost, NOT become an economic burden. Furthermore in my view Argentina would be far better off if they made a concerted effort to attract enterprising immigrants from developed/industrial countries seeking to invest and develop rather than the current immigration policy which attracts the poorest, least educated, and least skilled individuals from generally dysfunctional LATAM countries.

I don't think many permatourists from first world countries have moved to Argentina to make money... I can think of many other places where that can be done a lot easier. These laws are to prevent those from countries that do not provide the subsidised system Argentina offers in an environment that is not heavily policed or controlled like first world countries. I have no problem with them expelling those who's intention is to suck the system dry and not give back. Norway is one of the few countries where such levels of social support actually works and it's because they are relatively rich and small in population. Apply the same model to a country like Argentina and you get what you see today - the intentions are correct but the model is slightly flawed.

If the economy reboots (big if) at any stage cheap skilled labour via immigration will be one of the engines of recovery.

As was the case in the EU in the late 90s & 2000s

If the economy reboots (big if) at any stage cheap skilled labour via immigration will be one of the engines of recovery.

As was the case in the EU in the late 90s & 2000s
That is good except I don't believe the people abusing the system are interested in learning a skilled profession and working long hours for a low salary - they could do that in their home country. The aim is to cheat the system, not be a pawn.

That is good except I don't believe the people abusing the system are interested in learning a skilled profession and working long hours for a low salary - they could do that in their home country. The aim is to cheat the system, not be a pawn.

I don't disagree, but it's worth being forward looking in terms of legislation.

Furthermore in my view Argentina would be far better off if they made a concerted effort to attract enterprising immigrants from developed/industrial countries seeking to invest and develop rather than the current immigration policy which attracts the poorest, least educated, and least skilled individuals from generally dysfunctional LATAM countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patria_Grande

Back