More Border Controls?

I think you're over emphasising the importance and availabiliyt of expat dollars. This govt cares very little for a young person from Canada or the USA with little local earnings made via teaching English, they realise that offshore pensions are not accessible and do not represent an income stream for them.

Permatourists need to be aware that they represent a very small blip on the radar for potential income here. You don't move the dial.

Absolutely I agree... but the exact same argument stands to reason in stopping 'permatourists' at the border... In terms of crime, permatourists from these nations 'don't move the dial'. In terms of medical 'extortion' again... 'they don't move the dial'. Canada has a fully inclusive health system that costs exactly zero... And paying to visit the private and excellent hospitals or clinics in Bs As costs a pittance of what it does in the States... This is totally above board... Getting the best care in Argentina legitimately... is so cheap in comparison.. even without travel/health insurance that it doesn't add up. And lastly and the most absurd... who in their right minds would leave one of those nations to go and work and earn in pesos??? Not even taking into account Language issues... So job stealing, is almost laughable with the current state of the economy in Argentina. Again... doesn't move the dial. so the question remains... Why do this? and more importantly if they have turned a blind eye for so long... why now? The obvious answer is they are not the target of this action... Especially since the poor border nations do pose threats to all of the aforementioned criteria.. or quite simply.. there is another hidden agenda..

The amount of permatourists that invade Argentina and cause a strain on the system here is miniscule.

The amount of poor from other South American countries who come here and are a drain on the resources are quite another thing. And they are not permatourists, and for the most part don't need to be because the vast majority are Mercosur members and they can get residency any time they want to.

I think the permatourist policy changes are related to Cristina's hysterical fight against Goliath and all of Goliath's buddies, who make up the actual permatourist group for the most part.

If someone thinks it's because the country suddenly decided to start enforcing laws because it's the right thing to do...well, that person hasn't been in Argentina very long, I'd say :)

Absolutely I agree... but the exact same argument stands to reason in stopping 'permatourists' at the border... In terms of crime, permatourists from these nations 'don't move the dial'. In terms of medical 'extortion' again... 'they don't move the dial'. Canada has a fully inclusive health system that costs exactly zero... And paying to visit the private and excellent hospitals or clinics in Bs As costs a pittance of what it does in the States... This is totally above board... Getting the best care in Argentina legitimately... is so cheap in comparison.. even without travel/health insurance that it doesn't add up. And lastly and the most absurd... who in their right minds would leave one of those nations to go and work and earn in pesos??? Not even taking into account Language issues... So job stealing, is almost laughable with the current state of the economy in Argentina. Again... doesn't move the dial. so the question remains... Why do this? and more importantly if they have turned a blind eye for so long... why now? The obvious answer is they are not the target of this action... Especially since the poor border nations do pose threats to all of the aforementioned criteria.. or quite simply.. there is another hidden agenda..

I think the agenda is hiding in plain sight and the govt wouldnt have thought for one second about North Americans whilst deciding this. It's goes in hand with Berni's kick out the foreign criminals. They are scratching around looking for something votable to stick with the public. Aimed at non mercosur criminals. Colombians? Not sure.

Ay de mi...I'm 30 days from my planned relocation to Mendoza from USA for 6-12 months. Planning to study Spanish, explore Patagonia, enjoy life, etc. Was there twice already this year, had a very good time, made great friends, met an awesome girl, etc. I'm even bringing my dog...

My plan all revolves around me being able to make multiple entries using this 90-day tourist visa regime I've heard so much about. Several sources + research led me to believe this is an air-tight method. Now, I'm not so sure.

I welcome your advice, and if there are further resources I should investigate, do describe them. Thanks!

No one is going to blink at someone who is here 6-12 months. In fact you can 100% legally, no questions asked be here for 6 months I really wouldn't stress about it.

The laws are assuredly aimed at the narcos and other criminal elements. That being said, yes, those who have stayed years on their tourist visas should probably be taking steps to change their status.

Ay de mi...I'm 30 days from my planned relocation to Mendoza from USA for 6-12 months. Planning to study Spanish, explore Patagonia, enjoy life, etc. Was there twice already this year, had a very good time, made great friends, met an awesome girl, etc. I'm even bringing my dog...

My plan all revolves around me being able to make multiple entries using this 90-day tourist visa regime I've heard so much about. Several sources + research led me to believe this is an air-tight method. Now, I'm not so sure.

I welcome your advice, and if there are further resources I should investigate, do describe them. Thanks!

No worries - as city girl mentioned there will probably be no problem if you are staying just few months. I never had any issues at the border between Mendoza region and Valparaiso region. And if you really need to - then you could still get some temp residency later on when you study Spanish here. Mendoza is a great place and you will have a lot of fun here! Enjoy!

6 month stay in Mendoza with via runs to the Chilean Andes? SOUNDS LIKE FUN!!! Enjoy!

Many thanks for the votes of confidence - it helps! I appreciate your thoughts and experience. Buying my ticket today.

Talking about more boarder controls. We went to Colonia just to lark around in the history and have few days on the road. You know women they just love trips and shopping and if their is one thing I have learned about life that is.. A Happy Wife for men makes a Happy LIfe!

Well sure enough heard some of that USA English and struck up a little chatting. 4 years perma-touristing on a week long stay in Uruguay. Read the border control news and now paranoid and trying figure if they can get back in or what they will do if they cannot get back in.

I was thinking to myself now here is a couple that thinks or thought they are doing a legal thing that is not legal wondering if the legal will cut them off from another illegal legal visa.

Back