More Border Controls?

ElCordobés

Registered
Not really news to this group, but...

http://www.argentinaindependent.com/currentaffairs/newsfromargentina/government-tightens-border-controls-for-false-tourists/

The Immigration Department has established new border controls to determine whether foreign citizens who enter Argentina should really be classified as tourists.​
The additional controls will be applied to people suspected of being ‘false tourists’, that is, those seeking the standard three-month tourist visa but entering the country for reasons other than the defined criteria of “rest and recreation”.​
In case of any doubts regarding the purpose of stay of incoming foreigners, Immigration officials at all entry points into Argentina will be able to demand further information and supporting documentation regarding a person’s:​
* Place of permanent residency.​
* Current job.​
* Estimated stay in Argentina.​
* Which places they intend to visit.​
* How they will travel to their destinations.​
* Any relatives, friends, or acquaintances who live in Argentina.​
Supporting documentation will include air tickets, credit cards, domestic or international transport tickets, hotel bookings, or any other evidence immigration officers consider necessary.​
Those foreign citizens who have remained in Argentina for long periods of time, which could indicate they do not live in the country they declare as their place of permanent residency, will also be targeted.​
If a person entering the country is found to be a “false tourist”, they will be rejected at the border.​
The new measures come in the midst of a debate regarding the links between immigration and crime, with the government pushing a reform of the Criminal Procedure Code which would allow the authorities to expel foreign citizens who are caught committing a crime.​
The new measure was presented today in the Official Gazette.​

If eligible, sounds like irregular residents should work toward at least getting residency (or never leave).

True. Though the question is if they will really enforce it long term.

With a new administration some of this xenophobia will hopefully subside. But if one's eligible...it is really worth pressing their luck? It's cheaper to send off the fingerprints and get apostilled docs than a trip to Uruguay anyway. It's really an easy process when one has all the docs in hand. Those not clearly eligible is another issue entirely. I don't have any good advice. Having a baby, getting married, or retiring on one's no doubt "huge" pension at 35 years of age might not be particularly viable workarounds. :)

I guess that depends on who will win in 2015 ... do you think a PRO government would roll back the tougher immigration legislation and regulations?

Oppsss.. one thing in life is certain and constant, change, things always change. Permatourists? I never really got or understood that because it is like legally breaking the law. Of course allot of things in Argentina and South American are like that. Personally and I am speaking for me alone. I don't like grey areas in legalities. You see grey areas mean I am no longer in control. Not that I have any real control by any means but I am just more comfortable feeling like I have my s**t squared away. When things are in the grey they can be suddenly be changed to black or white without notice. If they are now looking for s**t on the way in what happens to the permatourists if they start looking for s**t on the way out? And given that AFIP is on steriods looking for every dime, well, my advice or two cents is... if you are a not legit then cover your A**! get legit or get out while the getting is good.

Back