More Border Controls?

I don't see very much grey in legalities. Most of it is against the law. It is black and white but we choose black because it's not often enforced. I haven't met anyone here squared away and legit. At least of those that still keep some ties to their home country. If it is not a visa issue, it is electronics/customs violation through the airport, selling dollars, or an income tax violation.

Completely agree about the legalites which was sort of my point. However all the expats I know are 100% legit. Then again we are in the 40 t0 60 crowd with ideals that maybe don't match with yours. Retired or semi retired and so on. I do believe that there are many international legit expats even here on these boards or maybe I am just an idealist. Either way, we expats are guests and we should be living as examples of what possible with the correct ideals. Not a bunch of slackers without ideals that just contribute to lack of ideals and make excuses about it.

Oppsss.. one thing in life is certain and constant, change, things always change. Permatourists? I never really got or understood that because it is like legally breaking the law. Of course allot of things in Argentina and South American are like that. Personally and I am speaking for me alone. I don't like grey areas in legalities. You see grey areas mean I am no longer in control. Not that I have any real control by any means but I am just more comfortable feeling like I have my s**t squared away. When things are in the grey they can be suddenly be changed to black or white without notice. If they are now looking for s**t on the way in what happens to the permatourists if they start looking for s**t on the way out? And given that AFIP is on steriods looking for every dime, well, my advice or two cents is... if you are a not legit then cover your A**! get legit or get out while the getting is good.
True, and stop complaining on these forums so much since there are probably spies out there in cyber land working for the administration reading all the s**t that they are saying about Argentina and bragging about how they are breaking the law and getting away with it!

True, and stop complaining on these forums so much since there are probably spies out there in cyber land working for the administration reading all the s**t that they are saying about Argentina and bragging about how they are breaking the law and getting away with it!

The "missing marsupial" (also a previous "self appointed scolder") made a similar critique shortly after joining the forum but what anyone posts here (bragging or confessing) on the subject really doesn't make any difference. Migraciones knows exactly who the "fake" or "pseudo" tourists are based on their entry and exit history and they have all of their names, dates of birth, fingerprint(s) and also (should have) their local address.

If being a pseudo tourist was a serious crime, there would be (or at least could) be a series of arrests, detentions, and deportation. That is not likely.

Until denial of entry for pseudo tourists from North America (and Europe) becomes routine there is no cause for panic. That being said, however, there is still cause for concern as no one knows if they will be denied reentry until it actually happens to them.

I'm overstaying again now (second time in 3.5 years)... returning in January... will either apply for residency or citizenship next year... the questions is, will they let me back in? Will report back in January. :eek:

Just be honest. Tell them that you live in Argentina and will now apply for residency/citizenship. I am guessing you will get your police report and any other missing documents from your home country during that trip? So it all makes sense...

Just be honest. Tell them that you live in Argentina and will now apply for residency/citizenship. I am guessing you will get your police report and any other missing documents from your home country during that trip? So it all makes sense...

Yep I'm ordering the apostille'd birth cert while I'm there and praying that it can get processed and delivered in time to have in my hands when I return... too bad my partner and I are on separate flights :huh:

Yep I'm ordering the apostille'd birth cert while I'm there and praying that it can get processed and delivered in time to have in my hands when I return... too bad my partner and I are on separate flights :huh:

In my state, I was able to call ahead to order my birth and marriage cert. We had to pay via check (credit/debit card) was not an option...arranged family to send payment.This included getting the apostilles...so it was all ready for us to pick up. (But it was only about 4-7 day turn around anyway). The FBI,we mailed in our final days so we weren't in the country when it was processed and had it sent down to us.

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!

Flew back from NY for work this week, saw nothing but blank stares and stamps being applied to reems of US tourists.

Completely agree about the legalites which was sort of my point. However all the expats I know are 100% legit. Then again we are in the 40 t0 60 crowd with ideals that maybe don't match with yours. Retired or semi retired and so on. I do believe that there are many international legit expats even here on these boards or maybe I am just an idealist. Either way, we expats are guests and we should be living as examples of what possible with the correct ideals. Not a bunch of slackers without ideals that just contribute to lack of ideals and make excuses about it.

I am a realist. I overstayed my tourist visa while waiting to gather all the paperwork needed to apply for permanent residency. Idealistically, I should have returned to the USA and waited until my residency could be completed. I chose to break the rule in order to not be separated from my wife. I am striving to do everything completely legitimately but along the way I have broken a few rules out of either inconvenience or ignorance. Can anyone else say they haven't? Maybe that means I lack the ideals of the 40 to 60 crowd but I have no regrets.

I am a realist. I overstayed my tourist visa while waiting to gather all the paperwork needed to apply for permanent residency. Idealistically, I should have returned to the USA and waited until my residency could be completed. I chose to break the rule in order to not be separated from my wife. I am striving to do everything completely legitimately but along the way I have broken a few rules out of either inconvenience or ignorance. Can anyone else say they haven't? Maybe that means I lack the ideals of the 40 to 60 crowd but I have no regrets.

I believe that I can...and I'll bet I am far from being the only one.

Before I applied for residency I got a prorroga de permanencia from migraciones (with three days to go on the 90 day tourist visa), even though the lawyer my Argentine girlfriend insisted I use said it wasn't necessary. My first and only tourist visa expired in early August and I knew that I wasn't going to go to migraciones until later in the month (at the earliest). The lawyer was probably correct, but I wasn't familiar enough with "the system" to take his work for it as he had no prior experience helping a foreigner apply for residency.

PS: At the time I was a member of the 40-60 crowd and I have no regrets.
emo32.gif

Whenever policy is announced through the press there is ALWAYS alterior motives... Laws like these are not usually designed to enforce their stated purpose but are almost always used in other (creative) ways... (in this Argentina is not unique) If you take this announcement and the latest ruling on deporting tourists for crimes without trial you can see that the OVERLAP in each case is that the 'offenders' do not have their papers in order. So most likely this has NOTHING to do with stemming the ebb and flow on the border but far more to do with a desperate Government attempting to get people registered for tax purposes. They want you to become legit so they can get into your 'business'... so they hope to scare the people living there 'undeclared' into appearing in the system. You should know that citizenship/residency have MAJOR tax implications in your home country as well as your 'adopted' one. This govt is painfully short on reserves, have a skyrocketing inflation rate and a runaway peso... They want your dollars.

Back