More Government Interference, This Time Radio

Back in 82 there was a complete ban on all foreign music(in English), started when tensions between Argentina and Great Britain over the falklands got hot and heavy, that lasted for about a year and i don't know if that ban was actually ever lifted officially....... so don't be alarmed they have been this dumb before,,

Not only that ban, they even changed some streets names of englishmen! The renown case of Scalabrini Ortiz, Avenida Canning up to 1982.

Back in 82 there was a complete ban on all foreign music(in English), started when tensions between Argentina and Great Britain over the falklands got hot and heavy, that lasted for about a year and i don't know if that ban was actually ever lifted officially....... so don't be alarmed they have been this dumb before,,

The Iron Maiden CD I bought while in Buenos Aires back in 1992 suggests to me that the ban was lifted.

I remember a law during the 70s which required a minimum percentage of national music to be broadcasted on the radios.

in this day and age who cares what they play on the radio, my phone can carry enough music to play for well over a week non stop without repeats.

Reactions: ben
in this day and age who cares what they play on the radio, my phone can carry enough music to play for well over a week non stop without repeats.

Um, anyone whose phone can't carry enough music to play for well over a week non stop without repeats. That would be 99% of the population.

Um, anyone whose phone can't carry enough music to play for well over a week non stop without repeats. That would be 99% of the population.

32gig sd cards are dirt cheap even here, i bet more than 1% of the population has some sort of phone with an sd card slot.

32gig sd cards are dirt cheap even here, i bet more than 1% of the population has some sort of phone with an sd card slot.

1% may be an exaggeration, but most people here don't have a phone which can play music. Fewer still have a phone which makes it easy, even if technically possible.

About 10 years ago, I used an LG CU500 and then a CU575. I could and did use the phone with a fair bit of music, but I imagine most people didn't.

A lot of people here still use phones like that. A lot don't care enough about music to have huge collections even on their computer, let alone on their phone. Particularly here. But they do care enough about music to turn on the radio. And even in the U.S., Apple for one is now betting - seriously so - that enough people simply want a curated playlist.

I've been in many taxis here. I've rarely if ever heard music from the phone. I almost always hear music - via the radio. And these are people who spend the whole day in the car.

In short, what happens on the radio is still of great interest here.

Back