More robberies in Argentina than anywhere else in the Americas

citygirl said:
Well I'm sure you can take it up with the OAS :rolleyes:

We talk about crime all the time here with some saying it's bad and others arguing that it doesn't exist.

This is an impartial report issued by OAS - hence I thought it was interesting to share. Farenheit found and posted it in another link but I thought it was too important to get buried.

who said it should be buried????
just saying that i don't think that its true that Argentina is number 1! its ok to have opinions! i think that crime has increased and and hate the K regime more then most people. but I've travelled in loads of places and i just can't believe it!

I'm not sure I trust the numbers... worse than Brazil and Mexico? Honduras and Colombia? :p I don't know.

I'm not one to deny that crime rate is high here and getting worse... and that robberies of all kinds are rampant... but compared to some countries in Central and South America, I'd rather be here.

Of course one can have an opinion. If you simply choose to disbelieve it just "because", you are certainly entitled to do so.

Again, this is simply an impartial report issued by OAS based on figures that the gov't themselves release on an annual basis (well, except Argentina who apparently doesn't want to release numbers these days).

Studies are only as good as the analysis that goes with them. Argentina has a small population (about 40 million), most of whom live in the biggest cities. That makes a countrywide comparison with the U.S. meaningless. The U.S. has 312 million people who are spread out across the country. The tens of millions who live in peaceful enclaves skew the numbers.

It is much more relevant to compare the rate of violent crime in Buenos Aires with cities like Detroit (21.4) or St. Louis (18.6), or the rate of sexual assault with Los Angeles.

As a journalist, I used to find these kinds of reports on my desk all the time. Most of them wound up in the trash after we examined them.

sylvie said:
Studies are only as good as the analysis that goes with them. Argentina has a small population (about 40 million), most of whom live in the biggest cities. That makes a countrywide comparison with the U.S. meaningless. The U.S. has 312 million people who are spread out across the country. The tens of millions who live in peaceful enclaves skew the numbers.

It is much more relevant to compare the rate of violent crime in Buenos Aires with cities like Detroit (21.4) or St. Louis (18.6), or the rate of sexual assault with Los Angeles.

As a journalist, I used to find these kinds of reports on my desk all the time. Most of them wound up in the trash after we examined them.

Why those cities?

Um... you do realize it's comparing all the countries in the Americas? Really not sure why you're focusing on the US (albeit it not surprising).

I don't worry about murder here. 4.6 or 5.5 out of 100K population is a very low number. And I think it's great that Argentina has one of the lowest murder rates in the AMS.

I do certainly worry about robbery here and since even using 2008 numbers (I think we can all agree crime has gone up since then), Argentina has almost double the numbers of robberies per 100K of population than the median of all the countries in the AMS.

Because they are illustrative of high-crime cities in the U.S. If you don't like those, how about murder stats for Chicago (15.2), Miami (15.4), New York (6.2... rapes 12.4), Los Angeles 7.6... rapes 24), New Orleans 49.1)?

These are FBI stats from 2010, but the situation has deteriorated with the recession in many places.

haha! stop being so defensive! we are debating the article! we can all agree that crime has risen in argentina.
but we are talking about if the study is believable or not, and the accuracy!

citygirl said:
Um... you do realize it's comparing all the countries in the Americas? Really not sure why you're focusing on the US (albeit it not surprising).

I don't worry about murder here. 4.6 or 5.5 out of 100K population is a very low number. And I think it's great that Argentina has one of the lowest murder rates in the AMS.

I do certainly worry about robbery here and since even using 2008 numbers (I think we can all agree crime has gone up since then), Argentina has almost double the numbers of robberies per 100K of population than the median of all the countries in the AMS.

I focused on murders and on the U.S. because you did, in your original post. I am Canadian.

Sigh.. did you notice the "Y vos" and ;) after I wrote the first comment? Or my comment afterwards pointing out that I don't particularly care about the murder rate in the US and the only reason I mentioned it was people always bring up the US?

Defensive? Not really. Baffled by people's immediate deflection when discussing crime here.

Back