Most Affordable Cell Phone Option

tonberryking

Registered
Hey everyone I will be in B.A as of June 19th and am new to this forum. So far, I've found everything fantastically informative!:cool: Anyhow I've doing research on options for a mobile phone in B.A. and have heard that getting an unlocked phone and putting in a sim card is one of the better options. I was thinking of getting a refurbished unlocked phone from the states before I arrive in order to cut costs. Does this sound pragmatic? I would love to hear all your opinions.

Do a search on this forum for 'movistar' that's one on the providers. You can buy a cell phone for about AR$ 180. So, if you can afford the flight here and really need a cell then its not that expensive.. but airtime is expensive.

You can buy a used cell phone in Buenos Aires quite reasonably if all you need it for is calls and messages. The latest models with all the gadgets run 2,800 pesos--what I spend per month.

I have a Motorola phone with a PERSONAL line. I need to add at least 15 pesos to it each month to maintain the line by going to a kiosko. Simple. mobile to mobile phone calls run one peso per minute on PERSONAL. Text messaging is less.

Calls between The same cell company numbers are cheaper than to other companies:

Personal Prepay / Tarjeta

Cheapest plan:
Personal 2 Personal: AR$ 0.99 min
Personal 2 non personal/landline: AR$ 1.99 min

Next cheapest:
All calls AR$ 1.89
1 free number for calls and one for text message - to Personal numbers only

Claro Prepago / Trajeta
AR$ 1.59 min all destinations
they have promition, if you recharge AR$ 20 month you have a free calls + texts to ONE other Claro mumber

Movistar
No rate details published on website

All the above 3 companies:
- charge extra if the call is long distance
- have promotion days when you credit gets bonuses, have 'text packs' etc

Most credits expire after a certain time ie. one month

If you buy a new phone it usually comes with some free minutes and texts

Hello all:

I am also trying to buy a celular prepago but I can't seem to find the locations of Movistar online. I tried looking on the site but couldnt find anything. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

In addition to Jez, here are the rates for calls and messages of Movistar Prepage, according to my "Detalle de Movimiento" on Movistars website.

Movimiento

Calls to other Movistar numbers: .99 ARS
Calls to all other numbers: 1.98 ARS
Text Messages: .43 ARS

The price that I was quoted when I wanted to buy the cheapest phone was AR$200. It was a basic but small and not bad-looking Samsung/Motorola (forgot which one) model.

I now have a Claro SIM card and was told that each text costs about AR$0.12 vs each call of about AR$1-2/minute. Today I topped it up with AR$50 and received a bonus of AR$40 which will expire in the next 45 days.

How is this for an option. I am going to be in BsAs for a little over 3 months. Can I have a Porteno add me to their plan for only three months? I was thinking of having them add me to their plan then paying for my phone and theirs. Are plans for locals that much better? Would this be cost effective?
I have some local contacts but wanted to get advice here before asking them.

yes, if you know somebody with a DNI who can sign a contract for you, you'll save a lot of money (if you intend to use your phone)... if you just want to have a phone for an occasional incoming or outgoing call a prepaid might wind up being cheaper. If all you want is to receive phone calls, you should get a movistar land line number (old movicom numbers) on a cell phone, which gives you a local number in Buenos Aires, so the person calling you pays land line rates and you don't pay anything. Also rates from the US are much cheaper to these numbers.

Back